Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Train or 05 Fatboy - Need input.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 PM
mjp750
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Train or 05 Fatboy - Need input.

yes, I'm a rookie, but I've searched and couldn't find an answer, so be merciful.

I'm 6 foot, 235 lbs. I've ridden miscellaneous bikes for a while, but going to get my first Harley... not new, but will be new to me... I have narrowed the choice down to an '04 Night Train with some extras (2-1 rinehart, new saddle, blah, blah) - very clean with about 3500 miles and an '05 Fatboy with smaller extras (grips, pegs, foot boards, highway pegs...) equally clean with about 6500 miles on it.

Never going to be my primary mode of transportation and don't expect to ever be on for more than 3 hours without an hour long break and probably never more than 6 hours a day... wife already has her sportster (I know I'll be stopping more often than every 3 hours...) and doubt I will ever really have a guest on board - and probably minimal extra trip weight.

I am well and truly torn between these 2 bikes. both nicely equipped, both reasonable mileage and will end up within about $500 of each other (and probably less) and are both within the financial range I'm working in.

I realize they are fairly different types of bikes, but they will both satisfy my minimal travel requirements. I need insight from folks with real world experience on either or both of these steeds. mpg insight, repair bills, comfort, anything that you wish someone had told you about your bike before you purchased it.

I don't expect to really be able to go wrong with either of them and I know it's my decision, but I'd rather be more informed than less. Thanks in advance for your time and your help.

Mike

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you have certainly done your homework and provided plenty of info to answer your question. I can only speak from the Night Train perspective, but think it would be a good choice... especially given the low mileage. It seems that people over 205 lbs or so don't like the stock seat comfort though, but that's easily changed.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 08-27-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
PaFatboy
Tourer

It also is wether you like chrome or not, start chroming up the train, and it's no longer a nightrain. I feel the fatboy is a more comfortable ride (once you ditch the stock seat). The fatboy's front wheel doesn't tend to flop at slow speeds, tire wear is better too. JMHO, as you see I'm from the fatboy camp.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like the Train may already have stage one since it has the rinehart pipe. If the fatboy is still basically stock except for grips and pegs I would call the Train a better deal.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+ 1 with deadeye.

If the NT has the upgrades that costs a bundle, pipes/air and possible fuel management, i would def. go with NT. Lower mileage and NT is all about the feel of the ride. Def. more aggressive type riding stance and a statement. (Im partial to NT though, lol)

Im 6-4, 218lbs. I moved my forward controls up a nother 3 inches, but would have done it on any Harley, doesnt matter model. Aftermarket seat was easily purchased off eBay for less than half of what harley wanted (purchased for the women though).

So if you doing just local riding with long bike rides, NT is my choice, hands down.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the train in my opinion, the fatboys are nice but to hefty escpecially with the solid wheels.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
softail04
Road Master

go with train
much better looking bike
no big fat front tire
but then I have a std and love it also ride it 500 plus miles a day sometimes and with a badlander style seat and apes

Attached Thumbnails 04 Train or 05 Fatboy - Need input.-hollesster.jpg  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Test ride em both then make your decision from that

Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 AM
showm
Cruiser

ive had an '00 train, '05 electra glide standard, '90 heritage, and now an '02 heritage. as i was told by a riding buddy prior to my first bike (nt), get what feels the best to you.

but going off of what u said, the train may just be the better deal and if you're solo alot around town or just short trips...the train may be the better deal with the possible stage 1 kit that sounds like is on there already.

but i will tell you this...out of the bikes i listed above, my '02 heritage is my favorite so far and by far the most comfortable for me. but this may be due to the fact i put a badlander seat on my standard when i had it so the touring bike was not that comfy to me.

i like the way i sit IN the heritage as opposed to ON the electra glide. the fatboy may be more comfortable in that respect but that depends on you. i used to go on looks alone but now i use my bike pretty much as a daily driver. but believe me, i would have no problem using just the train as a pleasure bike cuz like u said it will not be your primary mode of transportation.

so, if you lean towards comfort and the ability to make it more comfy...i'd say the fatboy has more potential.

so ride, dark...black...stellar - i'd go with the train. i miss mine in alot of ways.

good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by showm

so, if you lean towards comfort and the ability to make it more comfy...i'd say the fatboy has more potential.

so ride, dark...black...stellar - i'd go with the train. i miss mine in alot of ways.

good luck.
How would a fatboy have more potential than a night train? In essense they are the same bike. Same softail platform. You can literally turn a "fatboy" into a night train or vice versa. All the parts(nuts,bolts,fenders,etc etc etc) are fully interchangeable.

People forget that these bikes are literally just "barbie dolls" for men. You can mix and match parts to your hearts content to get the look and feel you want. The only thing you can't change out on your softail is the VIN #.

Quick Reply: 04 Train or 05 Fatboy - Need input.