Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wondering about Softail Customs

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
rak1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering about Softail Customs

I've been reading the Softail threads for over three weeks now but and have reviewed threads up to four months but you never really hear anything about people buying FXSTC’s nor are they really mentioned for any issues. Is it because most HD owners hate them, like the other Softails better, don't have any problems with them, or they don't need any upgrades which I find hard to believe. The reason I'm asking is I own a 2008 FXSTC and I'm wondering about possible problems or good upgrades but it seems to be a Harley Davidson nobody ever talks about which I guess is a good thing in a way. Does anyone have any comments about them good or bad, or upgrades they would recommend? I did just notice one other thread regarding buying one but still they don't seem to be talked about very much; just wondering....

Last edited by rak1; 08-28-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a quick look at mine... mind you i wuold probably have bought a standard if i knew i was gonna e-bay most of it....

Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
ptibowie
Advanced

They are great bikes. I wasn't much into the factory seat or bars but the base bike is a great platform to work with. I too would have bought a Softail Standard but the Custom has way more chrome from the factory and has the black motor instead of the gray motor that comes on the Standard. I wasn't into the gray motor at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior

yep agree with bowie i am not a fan off the grey motor either... the stock seat is really comfortable but butt ugly..

Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
tpolstc
Cruiser

Yup I too didn't care for the gray motor,scince I saw one that was a couple years old and looked like S**T, mine is stock for now but love it,only had one issue with it and after my 1000 mile service no complaints at all. JUst turned 1800 miles on the way to work this morning..Will be changing out the pipes and aircleaner in a couple weeks and will post new pics..

Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by rak1
I've been reading the Softail threads for over three weeks now but and have reviewed threads up to four months but you never really hear anything about people buying FXSTC’s nor are they really mentioned for any issues. Is it because most HD owners hate them, like the other Softails better, don't have any problems with them, or they don't need any upgrades which I find hard to believe. The reason I'm asking is I own a 2008 FXSTC and I'm wondering about possible problems or good upgrades but it seems to be a Harley Davidson nobody ever talks about which I guess is a good thing in a way. Does anyone have any comments about them good or bad, or upgrades they would recommend? I did just notice one other thread regarding buying one but still they don't seem to be talked about very much; just wondering....

All softails are basically the same. Same basic motor platform,frame,electronics etc. The only difference is the options, parts used to seperate them from other models. So basically if you like the softail model line, just find one that suits your fancy best. As I stated in another thread, a Harley is just a big man's Barbie doll. You can dress and acessorise it all you want to make it your own. All the parts are interchangeable on softail models with each other.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rak1
Is it because most HD owners hate them, like the other Softails better, don't have any problems with them, or they don't need any upgrades which I find hard to believe.
HD owners hating their Customs? That's a new one on me, I don't think I have heard anyone who has one for any length of time who's done anything more than complain they can't ride it enough.

They have all the same 'problems' that any other Harley or Softail has or had. Early 07's had issues with electrical wiring that caused a couple to go up in smoke and ECM map issues that made them run even hotter than later ones do. But those were fixed in production for later bikes and in recalls for older ones. Most (read all Harley's) bikes seem to have the same problem with grease dripping out of the steering head on to the tank, engine and front fender. But other than those they don't seem to have any inherent problems.

As for not needing upgrades, no bike "NEEDS" upgrades. But I have yet to see a Harley that been in the hands of an owner longer than a few days before they "upgraded" something.

Seems to be something that's kind of common with Harley owners. I have friends with Goldwings and BMW's and adding a stick on GPS or something is a big deal to them. They never touch anything mechanical and just don't understand why I pulled my bike to pieces in my garage last winter or how I got it back together again without extra parts or problems.
Of course those same guys have trouble figuring out which end of the screwdriver your supposed to hold on to so its not real hard to figure why they have never attempted it with their bikes.

In fact most of them bring the bike to the dealer for oil changes, because they don't even have enough basic tools around or the knowledge of how to use what they might have to attempt it. Let alone pull the entire bike apart.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
rak1
Tourer

I Thank everyone for the replies; I was told about the grease fitting on the steering head when I picked her up and HD also told me to make sure both tires were always inflated to 40 pounds to help with tracking; I don't know if thats true or not but thats what the service department told me when I pick it up two weeks ago (so far I have 400 miles on her). The reason for the post was because it seems to be rare to find threads about people buying a TC; it seemed they either bought a Deluxe, Crossbones, or Nightrain so it made me wonder if there was something wrong with the TC.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Softail07
Advanced

I am totally happy with my 07, I now have 6700 miles no her with no problem at all. I did make some changes and hope I'm done with changing anything else but it seems your never really done.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you want 40 psi in the front tire. Go back and slap the dumf*k at the dealer that told you that.
As for the rest of the bike, it's a sweatheart. Good enough stock but that won't last long as I've found out. I've already changed the grips, pegs, exhaust, ecm, and have recently been looking at the led tail light. Looked at bags too but just can't bring myself to ugly it up with them, even for a weekend. Thinking about going to a spokeless front wheel in the future and at least 103ci. Damn bike, it just never ends
Ron

Quick Reply: Just wondering about Softail Customs