Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control on Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
dobeman21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control on Softail?

Have any of you installed some kind of cruise control on your softail bikes? I have an 05 Deluxe and will be doing a bit of traveling and wondered if any of the 3rd party cruise control mechanisms work well or are pretty worthless or even dangerous. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I just use the little thumb screw on the accelerator that comes on the bike. Works fine for me.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
C. Harper
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a full cruise control on an 06 Heritage Classic from customized cycle. Just got back from a 3,700 mile trip. The cruise worked great. At a little over $600 it is a little high priced but worth the cost to me.

It took me quite awhile to install but the system was very professionally designed. I would recommend them to anyone.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM
dobeman21
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
I just use the little thumb screw on the accelerator that comes on the bike. Works fine for me.
What do you mean by "the little thumb screw on the accelerator that comes on the bike?'

Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dobeman21
What do you mean by "the little thumb screw on the accelerator that comes on the bike?'
Look under the brake lever on your bike and there is a star wheel there called a throttle lock. Screw it in and it lock the grip at whatever setting its at once its tight. Its OK for simple stuff, but I would NOT trust it for too long as its not easy to release in a hurry. You can overpower it to shut things down if its not too tight. But like I said its not easy to use, especially if your wearing gloves.
I replaced mine with a ThrottleLocker that replaces the original screw and start wheel with a new screw that has a courser thread size, so it needs less rotation to lock, and has a large wing lever that's easy to use with or without gloves. There are more than a few others out there but they usually use the stock setup just adding a lever or replacing the whole screw and star wheel with a new lever/screw setup like mine.
Here's a pic of it in the off position.

And in the on position.

Ride safe.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
dobeman21
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
Look under the brake lever on your bike and there is a star wheel there called a throttle lock. Screw it in and it lock the grip at whatever setting its at once its tight. Its OK for simple stuff, but I would NOT trust it for too long as its not easy to release in a hurry. You can overpower it to shut things down if its not too tight. But like I said its not easy to use, especially if your wearing gloves.
I replaced mine with a ThrottleLocker that replaces the original screw and start wheel with a new screw that has a courser thread size, so it needs less rotation to lock, and has a large wing lever that's easy to use with or without gloves. There are more than a few others out there but they usually use the stock setup just adding a lever or replacing the whole screw and star wheel with a new lever/screw setup like mine.

And in the on position.

Ride safe.
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

A company called SAC Roadstore makes some realy nice grips with a throttle lock feature, it works great and the grips are excellent.
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0406h...rol/index.html

Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Citoriplus

And in the on position.

Ride safe.
Where did you get the throttle lock that you have? Does it work well?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by travis dasher
Where did you get the throttle lock that you have? Does it work well?
I got it on line from http://www.throttlelocker.com/
The one on my bike in the picture is the polished stainless steel version.
And yes it works very well. Just be aware that you will have to retap the hole for the new thread size.
If you have never used a tap before it might not be a bad idea to have someone who has do it for you.
If I do another either because I'm replacing the housing or for a new bike I would use a better tap to get a better thread. Doing it by hand isn't impossible, I did it, but I'm not completely satisfied with my workmanship and wish I hadn't used the drill they call for to cut out the old threads. Next time I'll use a very slightly smaller drill or maybe none at all by using a machine tap to drill it and cut the threads at the same time.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 08-28-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C. Harper
I put a full cruise control on an 06 Heritage Classic from customized cycle. Just got back from a 3,700 mile trip. The cruise worked great. At a little over $600 it is a little high priced but worth the cost to me.
Details please. I asked around for this and was told nothing was available for the 06 Softail.

TIA

Neil

Quick Reply: Cruise Control on Softail?