Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 FatBoy Problems Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
had2haveaharley
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 FatBoy Problems Help!

Hi-New to forum-so not sure where to ask for help!
We just bought a 2002 Softtail FatBoy. Hubby rode it from shop to work - about one mile-to inspection station-about 3 miles...let it set for about 2 hours and was riding it home and it just shut down. He didn't know it had security system on it. When he went to load it on trailer -its turn signals started blinking. He bought a new engine start battery and when he put it in the turn signals came on but now the bike does not respond to the the ignition switch. Any suggestions...please help...need to be riding sweet bike!
thanks
hadtohaveaharley

Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't a remote security fob come with each key?
Tom

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
had2haveaharley
4th Gear

Hubby did not have the key in it to ride it home. After getting it home , he did realize the security fob with the key. Still does solve the immediate problem. Suggestions about the problem?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Did he hit the key fob button 2 times to disarm? Some ppl are confused how to disarm.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If he had the battery out,he may have to re set the secutity system.There's a sequence using the turn signal buttons to re set it.I'm leaving for the day,but if nobody can help you with the procedure I'll look it up when I get home a PM you with it.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 AM
had2haveaharley
4th Gear

After discovering there was a security system, he did that - and got some sort of light response- but the bike wouldn't start but there was a battery situation as well we thought so now there is a new battery. when we put in the new battery , the turn signals came on...and stayed on...had to unhook battery for them to go off. So hubby is still thinking it's something in the security system...and he just doesn't know how to set it or unset it...he thinks at this point it is disengaged...but who knows?? Grr...open to trying almost anything at this point!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 AM
had2haveaharley
4th Gear

Thanks Dr Green Thumb....if no one has helped - I'll be waiting to hear from you!!
Off tomorrow and can't wait to ride! Hope we can!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Security

You might have to run to the local HD shop and ask them for the "security code" - its a sequence of turn signals and other handle bar controlls (plus you have to stand on one leg, wait till the ambient temp is exactly 77 degrees, relative humidity is 29.6 and steady, wind is outta the South at 5mph, and wear a helmet made outta aluminum foil) just kidding, some HD shops will give you the sequence over the phone BUT its always a safe bet to go to the shop WITH your title papers to show proof of ownership...
Just a thought

Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
learfxr
Tourer

If they gave you the owners manual with the bike it will explain how to work the security. My 09 explains how to set it up and how to bypass it in case the key fob battery dies. The buyer sets up a numeric code in the bike to use as a bypass code. If the prev owner didn't supply the code, maybe Harley shops can get it set up for you. It sounds like the security is a little different from your year bike to the 09. My fob doesn't have a button, it works when it's close enough to the bike. The only way I know to get past your security would require you know the code set by the prev owner

Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DR.Greenthumb
If he had the battery out,he may have to re set the secutity system.There's a sequence using the turn signal buttons to re set it.I'm leaving for the day,but if nobody can help you with the procedure I'll look it up when I get home a PM you with it.
I have had my battery disconnected several times. It didn't cause any problems with the security system. I never had to do any type of reset.
Does he know you have to hit the fob button twice within a second or so to disable and just once and hold the button for about 2 seconds, to set the security system?
Tom

Last edited by tmitchellof PG; 08-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 FatBoy Problems Help!