Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 AM
17L1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New guy with a couple questions...

Hi all, been lurking here a while and finally registered. Have a question regarding my '09 Night Train that I just picked up last week. My last ride was a Shovelhead. I understand about needing to rejet when installing new pipes/air cleaner with a carb but the fuel injection setup has me confused. I ordered a set of V&H pipes, an SE air filter and super tuner. The dealer says that they can install everything now but I should wait until the 1000 mile service for the dyno. They claim that the dyno is absolutely necessary to make sure fuel mixture etc. is correct. If that's the case, how can it be ok to ride it for the next 800 miles without being sure everything is OK ? I thought that during the install they programmed the tuner with all the correct specs? If this is the case, is the dyno actualy necessary? Am I in danger of destroying my engine by riding it in the meantime? If everything can be installed and set up ok now, I might as well save the $$$ ($300) that they want for the dyno. Comments/advice appreciated !

Attached Thumbnails New guy with a couple questions...-nighttrain.jpg  
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

There is a "base" mapping for most of the common intakes & pipes (i.e. your set-up); which is probably what the dealer will use. But in order to get the A/F mixture "dead *****" on a Dyno is required. The dealer suggests waiting until 1k because of the engine "break-in" period.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
17L1
Intermediate

So would you get the install now and wait for the dyno, or wait and do it all at once?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 AM
More Chrome!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner

The base mappings are close, but not exact. I have 900 miles on a 2008 FXSTC with V&H BSS, SE A/C and a Tuner module. I can tell the mix is just a bit rich by the occasional backfire and smell of the exhaust. I'll have mine Dyno'd at the breakin to get it a little closer. Just a tweak leaner, I would guess...

Rich or not, those pipes sound perfect...

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 17L1
So would you get the install now and wait for the dyno, or wait and do it all at once?
Get the install, but just make sure that the dealer uses the "base mapping".

Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM
17L1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Get the install, but just make sure that the dealer uses the "base mapping".

Is the "base mapping" something that I should have to specify, or is it the standard thing they do in this case? Are there options where the mapping is concerned?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:30 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 17L1
Is the "base mapping" something that I should have to specify, or is it the standard thing they do in this case? Are there options where the mapping is concerned?
Being that your pipes (V&H) and intake are very common; the dealer should have a "mapping". You should of just gone to your local MC shop and purchased a PCIII; that way you could have downloaded a map and done the entire install yourself. It would have taken 2 hours ant the most and saved you $ on the labor.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 AM
17L1
Intermediate

I don't want to do anything that'll give them an excuse to void my warranty if anything goes wrong. I figure if they do it and there's a problem, it's on them.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait until the 1000 miles before installing the goodies. The motor will be broke in and you will be able to more readily notice the difference.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjmangus
I would wait until the 1000 miles before installing the goodies. The motor will be broke in and you will be able to more readily notice the difference.
Hmm...there are quite a few dealers who install intakes & exhaust before the bike goes "out the door". Besides, its a know fact that all of the newer bikes leave the factory on the lean side.

Quick Reply: New guy with a couple questions...