Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I tried out a cross-bones today, and..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I tried out a cross-bones today, and..

I quite liked it, really. I've got a Street Glide but really want a change as this is my third Tourer & need some 'bad-***' image for a change.

D'you think I could live with an archaic suspended, sprung seat bar-hopper in place of the tarmac-vacuum, radio equipped car on two wheels 'Glide?

C'mon, guys. Gimme some ammo to make or break me!!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

If you're taking long excursions on your Street Glide; then maybe you should stay in that class. I have 2 years left of payments on my Train; then I am getting Tourer. Of course I'm still keeping the Train. My wife & I ride 2-up alot, but the limited storage space on the Train restricts are travel distance(s).

Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Hmmm. Rarely, if ever carry a pillion these days. Mrs Reverend not to keen & sons now growing up with their own wheels so the carrying thing doesn't really kick into the argument somehow.

The 'Glide really does feel planted & secure, it's a known quantity & motors like f*** when you wind it up, but I can't help feeling it's a little bland these days. Sort of BMW boring amongst a row of hogs. The sort that people feel is the same as any other 'Glide save for the bolt on bits or the colour.

Getting pangs of guilt, but I reckon it's time for a mid-life crisis on the biking front. Throw out the Captain Sensible batwing & get in some agricultural springer time. Lotsa black, fishtails, that sort of thing.

Maybe journeys would be longer, but would they ultimately be more enjoyable? Make you take the back roads rather than the duals?

Given the money, I'd have both but I consider myself privileged to have even one.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:42 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Reverend,
Have you considered hot-rodding the engine some on your present bike? Maybe that would bring back the thrill and not cost as much as replacing your bike.
The Crossbones is a good lookin' bike, I gotta admit...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend
Hmmm. Rarely, if ever carry a pillion these days. Mrs Reverend not to keen & sons now growing up with their own wheels so the carrying thing doesn't really kick into the argument somehow.

The 'Glide really does feel planted & secure, it's a known quantity & motors like f*** when you wind it up, but I can't help feeling it's a little bland these days. Sort of BMW boring amongst a row of hogs. The sort that people feel is the same as any other 'Glide save for the bolt on bits or the colour.

Getting pangs of guilt, but I reckon it's time for a mid-life crisis on the biking front. Throw out the Captain Sensible batwing & get in some agricultural springer time. Lotsa black, fishtails, that sort of thing.

Maybe journeys would be longer, but would they ultimately be more enjoyable? Make you take the back roads rather than the duals?

Given the money, I'd have both but I consider myself privileged to have even one.
Its sounds like you don't need anymore ammo...GET THE BONES!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm turning 50 next year and could not pass on the bones, the seat is actually comfortable and a tall sissybar bag holds plenty for week long trips. Did 1500 miles roundtrip in June and doing another similar trip this month, go for it. you only live once.

Attached Thumbnails So I tried out a cross-bones today, and..-jun20_0002.jpg  
Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

the bones in sweet "vintage" another word for old looking.
but if you want bad *** go for a rocker c, the red is the fastest but the blue one is the slickest

Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be something about the Cross Bones. My brother who is 54, is thinking of ditching his Road King for a Bones. He has owned alot of Harleys in the last 35 years, so who am I to question him?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Crossbones is not really my style, but listen to your heart. I'm glad I did with my FXDC. Still can't believe it when I look out the window and see it sitting in the driveway. Like Christmas morning every day!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Mars
Cruiser

I had a bone stock FXST and then I got an 08 Ultra. I love the Ultra. It is truly a Cadillac on 2 wheels. But now I am free to dink around with the FXST and make it a bar hopper since saddlebags and a comfy seat for Mrs O'Lady dont matter. Hell I even took off the passenger pegs.
For half the price of a new Bones you can pick up a Standard and make it even more fun since it will be your own creation and not just another factory parts bin bike.

Quick Reply: So I tried out a cross-bones today, and..