Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Turn Signals

Old 08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front and Rear Turn Signals

OK, I have been reading allot about turn signals lately....having the rear be running and brake lights...ect.

Now I am only thinking out loud here for some more info. I have only been riding a HD for a couple months, but have a ton of ideas that I would like to do. Like to have my rear turn signals for brakes and running lights. And I would like to put clear lenses on the turn signals and NOT be able to see the colored bulbs. So when I was reading a post from CrawdadAZ, a thought came over me.

"Why can't we put front turn signals on the rear?"

The fronts take 1157 bulbs, and several companies make the "silver" or chrome covered bulbs in red and amber. And with the 1157 in the rear, you can have your rear turn signals do everything you want.....turn signal, brake, and running.

Now I have a 2000 Heritage with the flat lenses, and the mounts appear to be the same front and rear. This may not be the same with others? And I will take mine apart and check to see if the fronts will in deed fit if no one else knows.

So tell us what you think about that!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:08 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My rear turn signals already act as running lights and brake lights. I have the plug in HD module. Red lenses came with the kit. Put it on my wife's Deluxe also. Gives me the added visibility I'm looking for.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
JCFLHRS07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

already out there, heres the part number and description

Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. Easy-to-install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. Meets DOT requirements.

69461-06A

Flat Lens Style

Fits all '96-later Softail® models and '97-later Touring models equipped with flat lens style turn signals. (Does not fit with Narrow Chrome Directional Bar P/N 68611-98.)

MSRP US $57.95
The kit also come with bullet style lenses

Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto that. Easy install and they work great.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
plane
Road Captain

Fatboys don't have flat lenses. Does the kit work using the regular stock amber lenses?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by plane
Fatboys don't have flat lenses. Does the kit work using the regular stock amber lenses?
HD has kits that fit different model bikes. For instance the Deluxe has the tombstone lenses. But, depending on your state laws you may be able to use the existing amber lenses. I think in NJ amber is fine as a rear running light and signal but I don't think it would fly as an aux brake light which this module provides for.

As an aside, I just got the new Kuryakyn catalog. Looks like they have a similar module but theirs adds the flashing brake light option. As I recall their older module only worked with their panacea lights but I could be wrong. For a few bucks more the flashing brake light may be worth looking at.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I know, actually I have the kit from Harley that makes them run, brake and turn signals. And it was $60.00. I have seen many boxes of turn signals on eBay for less than $20.00 including shipping though.

The real issue comes when you want to go to the clear lenses and NOT see the red bulb inside. And to find 1156 in red is another story, very hard to find!

So I was just thinking that simply putting the front TS on the rear would make things a little easier???? As for wiring, anyone that has done a trailer can wire these the same.

Am I making any sense???

Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by plane
I bought the HD kit and it comes with the correct style lenses for a Fatboy and they're red. Just swap out the lenses and plug in the module, then you're good to go.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:34 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed this on mine. The red lenses look great against the candy red sunglo paint. Took about 10min to install. However I am not sure how the space under the seat will be shared with my future power commander.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I see a lot of responses talking about red lenses, obviously missing the point he made about wanting to use *clear* lenses... AND, he doesn't want a red bulb visible through the clear lens.

Sounds like a job for LED's!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front and Rear Turn Signals