Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch stays engaged on my Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch stays engaged on my Deluxe

Not sure if I'm just daft, but my 07 Deluxe had a it of a fall last week. After replacing the engine guards, I decided to take it out for a ride. When I disengaged the clutch while it was in 1st gear, it wouldn't roll. I'm afraid to start it in case something has happened to my clutch and I loose control. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am just not up to speed with the lingo, but what do you mean by it wouldn't roll after you disengaged the clutch?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the clutch *feel* any different under your fingers? If you put it in 2nd gear, pull in the clutch and hit the starter, does the bike lurch forward or not? If it does, then
your clutch is not releasing.

hogdoc

Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 PM
murd
Road Warrior

The clutch lever feels normal under my fingers. When the bike is not started, and it's in 1st gear, and when the clutch lever is in, the bike doesn't move forward or back. Neutral, of course, does. I guess I should just go back into the garage and fire it up, hold the front break in and see what happens.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
The clutch lever feels normal under my fingers. When the bike is not started, and it's in 1st gear, and when the clutch lever is in, the bike doesn't move forward or back. Neutral, of course, does. I guess I should just go back into the garage and fire it up, hold the front break in and see what happens.
Normal. When the bike is in gear and the engine is not running even with the clutch lever in it will not move easily.

Mark

Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I can tell you that is what I would do. Wet clutches (I believe your clutch is the wet type, please correct me if I am wrong), may feel like that after they still for a few days, or even just a few hours (they kinda get glued together), but if you put it in gear with the engine running, it will release. Your plan of holding the brake should keep you out of trouble.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM
murd
Road Warrior

I have completed my MC Skills test today and for the past few days I've been riding on a 250 Kawi Sherpa. Pull the clutch in and it rolls easily. When I past rode my deluxe, I rolled it down my driveway in neutral, then fired it up, clutch in , first gear and away I went. Today, I think my brain is in Riceland, cause I tried rolling my deluxe out of the garage in first with clutch disengaged. No can do.

Thanks for giving my head a shake Mark!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by murd
I have completed my MC Skills test today and for the past few days I've been riding on a 250 Kawi Sherpa. Pull the clutch in and it rolls easily. When I past rode my deluxe, I rolled it down my driveway in neutral, then fired it up, clutch in , first gear and away I went. Today, I think my brain is in Riceland, cause I tried rolling my deluxe out of the garage in first with clutch disengaged. No can do.

Thanks for giving my head a shake Mark!
No problem. Since you just took your test today, you know you should only start your bike in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in and your hand on the front brake so you should be safe even if there is an issue.

Mark