Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Gas Mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM
jeff0628
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Gas Mileage???

Ok, I have a 08 FXCWC Rocker that I think is getting HORRIBLE gas mileage. All that's been done to it is a SE Heavy Breather A/C, Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 to 2, and a stage 1 download from the dealer. I have around 2,300 miles on it, Amsoil 20w50 oil in all 3 holes, and have always used 100% gas. The bike runs GREAT!

Ok, so yesterday I go riding 2 up roughly 400lbs combined weight and average 65 to 75 with the occasional roll on to pass some cars and when I fill up I was getting 36.5mpg!! HD advertises 54 with this bike, so I figure, yeah right only if I weigh 20 lbs, rolling down hill in nuetral, but a 18mpg difference?

This is the first time I've checked the mileage and seems really low?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

36 mpg is about what I get too...still better than the 11mpg I get on my Hummer. Keep in mind that the deaer/tech had to "richen" you up in order to compensate for the intake & exhaust.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I would kill to get 36 mpg... but I spent a lot of money to get it down to 30 mpg... pulling a trailer doesn't help though..

Last edited by 2002flstc; 09-01-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
jeff0628
2nd Gear

I know the download richened up the bike, I guess I never realized it would affect gas mileage that much. I'm curious to know, I'm thinking about Harleys 103 stage two kit, this winter. Will the mileage suffer much from that?

I know you can't have cubic inches and power without losing some mileage, just curious?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ya mean we're suppose to check the gas consumption?? I thought just tree huggers do that. I just put gas in and turn it into noise - do this about every 130 - 150 miles, repeat.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
hardpill
Cruiser

I have a '07 FXST (SERT, SE slip-ons, SE aircleaner) and I get about 46 at best, on a straight highway by myself. I did notice while 2-up the mileage drops to near the figure you posted. That advertised 54 mpg is with factory tuning and a 180lb rider (probably with a 70 mph wind to his back). Probably under perfectly controlled labratory conditions.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff0628
I know the download richened up the bike, I guess I never realized it would affect gas mileage that much. I'm curious to know, I'm thinking about Harleys 103 stage two kit, this winter. Will the mileage suffer much from that?

I know you can't have cubic inches and power without losing some mileage, just curious?
I have the 103 kit, I just have had the $ to get it installed. I wouldn't think that the mileage diff would be all that noticeable.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 AM
jeff0628
2nd Gear

Sounds like my numbers aren't that far off. AVIATOR, I'm definitely not a tree hugger, I was just concerned that something might be wrong with the bike. My last bike was a custom that had a 01 1200 sportster drivetrain, and I averaged 45 to 48 with it.

This is my first big twin, so I didn't know what to expect from the 96, other than what HD advertised.

AVISCOMI,
Is there much of a difference with the 103? Is it worth the money?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey - I'm just bustin' your chops......

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff0628

I am out of my element being in the softail thread, but your post caught my eye.

When the dealer does the stage one download, it does is richen the mixture a bit to compensate for the freer flowing intake and exhaust. Unfortunately every stage one download is the same and there are so many different combinations of pipes, air cleaners etc that HD made the download a one size fits all and that is really not the case.

Without going to some kind of tuning system that you can tweak the map (PCIII, SERT, DTT, Etc.) you will not get your mileage back. Your combination on that light bike should return 45+ mpg easily, if not a lot more.

You comment on going losing mileage with a performance motor just isn't true unless you can't keep your right wrist outta the throttle. I am running a 10.5:1 120" engine that will return 45 mpg solo, 39mpg two up loaded for a trip and down to 35mpg if I continually hammer on it. You can tune a large engine for the best of both worlds, power at 50%+ throttle and economy in the cruise range. It is all in the tuning and having someone that really understands fuel injection and the science of tuning.

Before you spend your money on the HD stage two kit, look around a bit as there is really some very nice aftermarket "kit builds" that will easily outperform the HD stuff and might even save you a buck or two. Dont fall into the trap that you want to keep you warranty intact. You do a HD stage two and you can throw your warranty on the engine out the window for all it is worth at any dealer other than maybe the installing dealer if you are not doing the work yourself. Check out http://www.head-quarters.com for a very good example of what's available, nice stuff and bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage???