Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieter Big Radius?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 AM
kiteman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieter Big Radius?

Just fitted V&H Big Radius to my Rocker and they look awesome! The sound is just a little too loud for my neighbours and probably the local cops. Is it possible to drop the volume by say 10% without losing much performance? It looks like V&H don't do "quiet baffles" to suit BR. I've heard that Thunder City are duller in pitch but actually louder in volume.

I really can't afford to get busted as I already have 10 points of a possible 12 per 3-year period scored against my driving license!! All help appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Windeed
Tourer

I have V&H BR and installed Thunder Monster QQ baffles. They are supposed to be a little more quiet with a lower tone. I had it done all at the same time so I have no comparison with the original baffles. I can say that the pipes bark pretty good but once everything is up to operating temperature the pipes seem to quiet down some.

Hope this helps. Just make sure to install the baffles 6 inches up the pipe per instructions.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

wow where do you live? I have the same set up with fuel pack and my neighbors are gratefull that I sold my Hertiage with the staight pipes.

I dont think my bike is loud but you got me wondering!!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn... How loud are these pipes? I keep hearing people on here talking that they are almost too loud. I am about to order me a set of ceramic blacks for my 08 Fatty

Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ptl203
Damn... How loud are these pipes? I keep hearing people on here talking that they are almost too loud. I am about to order me a set of ceramic blacks for my 08 Fatty
my buddy has an 05 Softail Standard with the Big Radius and they are loud, he moves his bike out of his garage and down the street (lives on a hill luckily) before starting in the morning so his neighbors dont complain. Ive ridden it, nice sound, but little too loud for me. Near cops he always makes sure he is not throttling around them.

So I went with the ShortShots, and i start mine in the morning and no problem with my neighbors. They are loud, but I dont know what it is, the BR seem louder to myself and a few others in comparison. I have no problem with cops or anything.

If you are thinking about getting them, throw in the VH Quieter Baffles or Thunder Monsters like previously stated.

Last edited by jknowlton; 09-03-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought my Big Radius pipes were too loud also, but the day a cop pulled me over in New Hope and took a decible reading of the bike at an idle and from about 10 feet away, he came back and showed me the meter and it read 85db and told me I was OK. I have no idea how they have their meter calibrated, but I didn't get a ticket. I still may get a set of short baffles from JP Cycles and make them fit just to quiet them down a little.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, the Thunder Monster QQ baffles might be a good solution for you. I have the Thunder Monsters with my BR and I can tell you they are an excellent product.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK/Pa
I always thought my Big Radius pipes were too loud also, but the day a cop pulled me over in New Hope and took a decible reading of the bike at an idle and from about 10 feet away, he came back and showed me the meter and it read 85db and told me I was OK. I have no idea how they have their meter calibrated, but I didn't get a ticket. I still may get a set of short baffles from JP Cycles and make them fit just to quiet them down a little.
wow man, that is great. CT law is a reading at "microphone located 50 feet from the target point"

great to hear though, was wondering what they would read at.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
bravo116
Stage II

Heard a lot of good things about them. You have any pics?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
chidiver
Cruiser

Are these baffles for the BR 2-1 or the 2-2? I want to quiet down my BR 2-1 some and V&H doesn't offer anything for it.

I like the pipe but I live in the city and would like to be more considerate of my neighbors when I fire it up...Also live right across the street from the police station.

Quick Reply: Quieter Big Radius?