Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED's fitting on 07' Fatboy TC96, help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
jonr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XIED's fitting on 07' Fatboy TC96, help please

Can any users of XIED's on Softails's -especifically my 07 Fatboy help with 'idiot' fitting instructions?
Not being in the least techy I need detailed help in where to locate the existing front and rear leads, where and how to insert the XIED, and how/where to secure. Together with any helpfull tips /feedback on the way as I've read some places that with some models it may be challenging to fit the rear lead!

Many thanks. Jon.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

08 Heritage:

The front is super easy. Just follow the wire from the 02 plug in the forward exhaust tube down to the voltage regulator. Unplug it, and put the XiED inline. Simple plug in. Notice how it snaps in because the back one you'll do by feel. Use a zip tie to secure up the extra wire. It's easy and once you sit down to do it you'll see.

The back one is harder. It's behind the oil tank. Have a flashlight on hand. Trace the wire from the 02 sensor in the rear jug exhaust. It goes behind the oil tank. There's another clip that looks the same back there, so tug a little on the wire to see the correct clip wiggle. It helps to lay down and use the flashlight to look up under the oil tank. Get your fingers up in there and open the clip. One end is easy to do, the other was harder for me. I have big hands. I looked up with the flashlight, and with a little effort I got the clip started. To push it fully in place, I had to get the original end sorta wedged in place so I could push the clip until it snapped in, giving me something to push against. It took a few attempts but I got it.

It's an easy install front, sorta a PITA in the back. I've also read where people took off the seat and removed the battery, but I didn't do it that way.

Last edited by Joe Diver; 09-03-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, whole idea is that the XIED's are in-line (ie., inserted between) to the existing O2 sensor connection and ECM cable connection. Both XIEDS are the same, so there's no front and rear distinction. XIEDs have a female and male end, so can only plug in one way.

So, for the front, Locate your O2 sensor, and follow the cable. On my Deluxe, goes into the regulator cover in front bottom of frame. Disconnect, and plug-in one end of XIED, and the other end of XIED goes to the other cable you disconnected (ie, ECM side). For the rear, do the same thing. Again, for my Deluxe, the connection is clipped under the oil tank. I would just crouch over and use both hands and get a feel for the connector location and disconnect, and attach the XIED.

good luck...