Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Riding Gear Suggestions ?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Riding Gear Suggestions ?

I'm looking at buying heated gloves, heated jacket (or heated jacket liner), and heated pants.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Specific wiring needs, etc ?

I have an 07 Fat Boy and want to extend my riding season up here in Chicago....

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner and Warm & Safe Rider Classic heated gloves. Being in Canada, I KNOW cold weather riding, hehehehe... the heated gear probably allows me to get an extra month of riding. I connect them to Reaper via a Powerlet HD Mid Kit using one of their co-ax adapter cables.

I had glove liners first, but found they didn't do the job. The full heated gloves work like a charm, though!

Cheers!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

Thanks 'Clammy'...I will look into your suggestion

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer

The GF and I both have Gerbing's jacket liner and classic gloves. Mine powers off the cig lighter (FLHT), her's directly off the battery using the included pigtail (FLSTC).

Definitely go with a temp controller, either the Gerbing or another. They do get hot and it's worth the little extra $$$ to keep from having to cycle them on and off.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by LookMaNoHands
The GF and I both have Gerbing's jacket liner and classic gloves. Mine powers off the cig lighter (FLHT), her's directly off the battery using the included pigtail (FLSTC).

Definitely go with a temp controller, either the Gerbing or another. They do get hot and it's worth the little extra $$$ to keep from having to cycle them on and off.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that about the controller. I have a Gerbing's Dual unit, so I can control the jacket and gloves separately. I usually have the jacket cranked up and the gloves around 50 - 60%.

Cheers!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

Thanks again everyone. I looked at Gerbing's website and it looks like its the same stuff that Harley sell's. Perhaps its the same manufacturer, just with different logo when you buy through Harley....anyhow, as most things go with Harley it seems to be cheaper to buy directly from the manufacturer so I think i'll do this....

Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

I guess I will drink the Harley Beer on this one.

I bought the harley coat and gloves with the dual controller last year and rode a lot.

Doing it again I might buy the vest due to bulk

I definately like the harley set up because it is the only one I have seen with real leather on the gloves. I like leather gear and my last set, widder gloves, lasted 15 years with the leather.

You need a regulator for temperature, even if it cost too much. This gear is hot. I rode in twenty degree New Hampshire in January and February and was toasty warm from the waist up.

I installed the wiring to the battery and then to the thermostat which I attached to the outside of my hard mounted bags, but on the inside edge. This exposes them to the outside air, but keeps them from dangling.

When not in use the wires are inside the saddlebag, when they are they are fairly short and cant get into any moving parts.

Email me if a picture or two would help out.

Mike

Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerbing all the way. Yeah, HD's are Gerbing. BUT, and I say, BUT, HD warranty is only a year, whereas Gerbing is for LIFE!!

You don;t need no stinkin' HD logo.. go directly to the source..

BTW, if you ever change your bars, look into Kuryakyn's Heat Demons. They go into the bar. also have them for $100 can;t go wrong..

Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
GMul
Advanced

I have Gerbing jacket, gloves and socks. I run the jacket and gloves with an single on/off switch and cycle the switch as required (the jacket and gloves seem well matched in terms of warmth).

The socks get very warm, so I run them off a separate switch. My socks have the wires in the sole, so walking is a little uncomfortable.

Consider getting the jacket with a heated collar. The extra warmth around your neck is quite cosy and, IMHO, helps keep the blood going to your head warm (having a fully operational brain is important to me .

Gary

Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Gerbing all round......I also have the jacket and gloves with dual controler........I live at 9,700 ft in the Rockies....its already down to freezin at night......electric really makes the difference, I don't use a windshield......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Riding Gear Suggestions ?