Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
hooliken
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts???

Posting in the softail forum to see if anyone else with a similiar machine has the same issue. In the 30 to 45 mph range when off the throttle I am experiencing bad head shake, wobble, tank slapper.....whatever your term of choice.
YES....the dealer has checked the steering head.
YES....I have been through a couple set of tires.

Every thing that dealers and mechanics have advised could cause this has been checked, rechecked or replaced.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this pain in the *** sympton?

My bike is an 06 Night Train with the factory rim set up. 21 front 17 rear.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same thing with my '08 Fatboy. Decel wobble beginning at the 40mph range. My indy checked for me at two different service intervals, and again (finally) when I had my tires replaced at 10k miles. Same issue on new rubber.

Finally, finally...I started reading my HD service manual and decided to do my own steering head calibration. I lifted the front-end, went through the flop measurments and started tightening my steering head bolt. It was way-loose.

Now, I can take both hands off the bars and decel from any speed without wobble.

That was MY problem. Additionally, I have read where the primary chain had too much slack and would cause a weird torque transfer. I have no experience with any of that. (Just repeating what I read on here one time).

Best of luck. Personally, I would start again at the steering-head adjustment.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming this bike hasn't been in an accident, I don't care what your dealer service department says... there are only a couple of things that could cause this symptom (you can probably trust them about the tire evaluation).
  1. steering head adjustment
  2. spoke wheel trueing
Either go somewhere for a second opinion or get the equipment so you can check it yourself. GL!

P.S. Welcome to the forum

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 09-06-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: noticed it is OP's 1st post