Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe....my dream bike

Old 09-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail Deluxe....my dream bike

I just bought my 1200 Sportster Low back in Nov and I really love the bike. I am a beginner but am coming along. Though I love the bike, I'm thinking that after I have several thousand miles under my belt, I might buy myself a Softail Deluxe. Fell in love with them the moment I saw one after they first came out. Especially the two toned ones and even more so the black and white. Though this year I really like that turquoise and white.

Would love to have your opinions about the bike, how it rides etc. just for good measure. I know I have to ride it myself to know, but still want to hear what you think of yours. I'm 120 pounds and 5 ft 2. I know it has a low seat height also, which is very attractive to me.

Any comments?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Dave Deluxe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rhonda, you will absolutely love the Deluxe. I am pretty partial to them myself. I sold my Big Dog Chopper three years ago and bought a new black and white Deluxe (the last one in Houston at the time). I went through a divorce a couple of years ago and sold the bike to pay off some debt, but I bought another Deluxe just a few months ago. I installed Samson Long Guns and some Kuryakin padded grips, a Sundowner seat and some cruise arms. This bike is perfect for me. Since the Deluxe is the shortest bike made by Harley, you should have no trouble at all riding it. As far as I am concerned, this is the best looking bike that Harley every built. Just my opinion, but I don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Buy it..........I'm really good at spendin other peoples money.....

Really, I think you'll love it......make sure you are really comfortable with your current bike, like you said put in as many miles as you can, don't be in a hurry.............and whether you get a new bike or not consider taking a rider safety course and make sure you practice emergency maneuveres....... Ride safe

Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I just bought my 1200 Sportster Low back in Nov and I really love the bike. I am a beginner but am coming along. Though I love the bike, I'm thinking that after I have several thousand miles under my belt, I might buy myself a Softail Deluxe. Fell in love with them the moment I saw one after they first came out. Especially the two toned ones and even more so the black and white. Though this year I really like that turquoise and white.

Would love to have your opinions about the bike, how it rides etc. just for good measure. I know I have to ride it myself to know, but still want to hear what you think of yours. I'm 120 pounds and 5 ft 2. I know it has a low seat height also, which is very attractive to me.

Any comments?
You'll have no problem riding the deluxe....the reason I bought it was 'cuz it fit me, right out of the box....and I'm only 5'6" I have a friend who's about your height and she rides her deluxe without any problems....

Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer

It is a great bike! Absolutely gorgeous and built for smaller riders. The ride quality, feel of the controls, etc are great. Its not overly powerful and it doesnt handle like a sport bike but its a great bike overall.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:37 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

I say go for it! It will feel a little different. The engine on the softail is hard mounted and counter balanced while the sporty has a rubber mounted engine. Both vibrate but at different times. I love my Fatboy, but I have to admit - the black and white 2 tone deluxe is the best looking bike Harley makes! Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the EXACT same thing that you're contemplating. I had a 50th Anniversary 1200 and rode it for 8 months. But I couldn't get the Deluxe out of my mind. When I finally bought one, as I was riding it home I thought "WHY didn't I do this in the first place?!?!?!"

It is like getting off a vibrating horse and sitting down on a couch. Don't get me wrong...the Sporty is a great ride. But I'm way too old and lazy to put up with it for many miles at a time.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
murd
Road Warrior

Oh dear Rhonda, I think you know what I think.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Rhonda nice to see somemore Tarheels on here . I think the Deluxe is a great bike choice for you. With the Softail's lower center of gravity vs Sportster I think it'll be a easier handling bike for ya too.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Although I'm six feet tall, I've got short lil' legs. Love mine and I think you'll love one of these as well. Take one out for a test ride and see whatcha think. I live near Jacksonville. Don over there is easy to deal with. Bought mine in New Bern from Kathy Grizzell. She'll hook you up as well. Keep us posted Rhonda. - Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe....my dream bike