Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nubie 5 or 6 speed tranny 65/70 mph

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nubie 5 or 6 speed tranny 65/70 mph

Considering getting back on an HD (used '06 STS or '07 STC) and would like to know your opinion of 5 & 6 speed tranny at hiway speed (65/70) if you've ridden both. in other words, "Get the '07 6speed" b/c it is the greatest thing yet or the 5 speed is better b/c of this or that, etc.

history: '86 1000 sporty, '87 FXLRC, '95 FXDWG (sold in '98 and haven't gotten another YET)!

i can read these at work, but can not 'login'...so i'm limited to the forum until i go to someone's house and login.

Your opinions would be greatly apprciated. thanks, ED

Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 or 6 speed

In my opinion, which is meaningless because it's your money, I would go for the 07 up 6 speed. Gearing is better, easier on engine at highway speeds, and greater resale value.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

6 speed is far better, I have both.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Ummm, first off the 6th gear on the 6 speed if Im correct is 1:1 FD, same for the older 5 speed. Second off the older transmissions use full straight cut gears which are known to naturally tramsit more power to the rear wheel(helical cut gears waste engine power power due to side loading on the shafts an bearings). 3rd, Harley motors are naturally high in torque, 6 gears to get to 1:1 is a waste and completely unecessary considering how wide the twin cam powerband is. The older 5 speed was built much better and geared much more desireably towards the TC engine, especially the older models with the 3.37 primary gearing. If your gonna do a 6 speed, it should be something Like a JIMS OD6 or a SE 6 speed, both of which have the 5th gear with 1:1 and the 6 gear with a true OD/overdrive (ie: .82:1 or something of that nature).

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 09-13-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 AM
getanxd
Advanced

thanks for those insights. i am wondering if the only gear ratio change is in the 5,6th gears or did they adjust 3rd 4th too? Is it a new tranny or just a 5 with the added 6th to get a pshdo OD. Sounds like Superahched brings out the 'true OD' factor.

i appreciate the '07 resale factor (96cu, 6sp), but was wondering if i spent 90% of my time at 65/70 non interstate, would i be going in/out of 6th. is 6th just for 70/75 interstate and 5th just like 5th of the old tranny?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

On my 07 the 6th gear is hit at around 60 and on the open hwy in 6th she feels like she really wants to run.....I don't have a clue as to gear ratios but by the seat of the pants....go with a 6 speed.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by getanxd
thanks for those insights. i am wondering if the only gear ratio change is in the 5,6th gears or did they adjust 3rd 4th too? Is it a new tranny or just a 5 with the added 6th to get a pshdo OD. Sounds like Superahched brings out the 'true OD' factor.

i appreciate the '07 resale factor (96cu, 6sp), but was wondering if i spent 90% of my time at 65/70 non interstate, would i be going in/out of 6th. is 6th just for 70/75 interstate and 5th just like 5th of the old tranny?
All the gear ratios were slightly changed with the new 6 speed. Its an entirely new transmission(and alot of corners were cut on it)and it has no true "overdrive", 6th gear is still 1:1. I've ridden the new bikes, and to be honest, too much time is spent shifting gears, its just unecessary, even with a bone stock engine.

If you have one of the bikes with this new 6 speed "cruisedrive" transmission, think seriously about selling it on Ebay or Craigs, get some good money for it, then pick up a true OD 6 speed transmission with straight cut gears. Not only will you get a nice rpm drop for the OD 6th gear, but you also will spend less time shifting at lower city speeds and you will also pick up some power to the rear wheel as all gears are straight cut, hence no powerloss in the transmission. The Screamin Eagle 6 speed, Jims 6(same thing), or the Baker OD6 are the 3 best choices out there.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
getanxd
Advanced

gee don't know what to think now. saw the one guy putting a 6 sp in an 2002 model with no complaints and then the one where they are complaining about the noise of the straight gears causing noise in these new factory 6 speeds. sounds like my old bud's fave saying, "that's why the make chocolate and vinilla."

the guy that went to all the trouble to put a 6th gear in an older bike just loved it on the highway. and then another guy here saying the 6th speed is too many gears to have to deal with and kinda don't fix it if it aint broke. it wasnt' long ago the HD only had 4 speed and we upgraded to 5? i'm at a loss, but appreciate the inputs you've listed.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
All the gear ratios were slightly changed with the new 6 speed. Its an entirely new transmission(and alot of corners were cut on it)and it has no true "overdrive", 6th gear is still 1:1. I've ridden the new bikes, and to be honest, too much time is spent shifting gears, its just unecessary, even with a bone stock engine.

If you have one of the bikes with this new 6 speed "cruisedrive" transmission, think seriously about selling it on Ebay or Craigs, get some good money for it, then pick up a true OD 6 speed transmission with straight cut gears. Not only will you get a nice rpm drop for the OD 6th gear, but you also will spend less time shifting at lower city speeds and you will also pick up some power to the rear wheel as all gears are straight cut, hence no powerloss in the transmission. The Screamin Eagle 6 speed, Jims 6(same thing), or the Baker OD6 are the 3 best choices out there.
What do you mean when you say "corners were cut"? Can you be more specific?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by getanxd
gee don't know what to think now. saw the one guy putting a 6 sp in an 2002 model with no complaints and then the one where they are complaining about the noise of the straight gears causing noise in these new factory 6 speeds. sounds like my old bud's fave saying, "that's why the make chocolate and vinilla."

the guy that went to all the trouble to put a 6th gear in an older bike just loved it on the highway. and then another guy here saying the 6th speed is too many gears to have to deal with and kinda don't fix it if it aint broke. it wasnt' long ago the HD only had 4 speed and we upgraded to 5? i'm at a loss, but appreciate the inputs you've listed.

Your not getting what Im stating. If some guy has an 02' and he is putting a 6 speed in it. Most likely the 6th gear is a true OVERDRIVE(ie: the engine turns LESS than one full revolution for every FULL revolution the wheel spins).

The new bikes come with a "cruisedrive" 6 speed with NO overdrive at all. Pretty useless with a big torquey vtwin engine.

I have a 6 speed in my 03' Nighttrain. Its a Screamin Eagle 6. Basically its identical to my old 5 speed transmission with a true OD 6th gear added on top.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nubie 5 or 6 speed tranny 65/70 mph