Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight hesitation when goosed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slight hesitation when goosed...

I get I slight hesitation when I lay on it on any gear, almost like its starves for fuel, then kicks in. On decel , I noticed some poping occassionly. Deluxe has 7K miles, and is stock with just KN3909 A/C..

any thoughts?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A stock '07 with 3909? It IS starved for fuel. Get yourself a fuel management system, or at the very least a set of IEDs.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
I get I slight hesitation when I lay on it on any gear, almost like its starves for fuel, then kicks in. On decel , I noticed some poping occassionly. Deluxe has 7K miles, and is stock with just KN3909 A/C..

any thoughts?
Did you have it remapped when you installed the A/C? As the other poster suggested, if its a High flow A/C you have increased the AIR with out adjusting the Fuel so are running lean.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:51 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No remap or fuel mgt. Always thought unless doing a stage 1 (pipes and A/C) needed additional adjustments..

I do in fact have IEDs installed. Going to disconnect and see if I have same problem..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

LEAN is BAAAAAAAAD. FUEL MANAGEMENT A MUST!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a dyno tune or thundermax

Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 AM
gaffney
Advanced

Originally Posted by ronyd
No remap or fuel mgt. Always thought unless doing a stage 1 (pipes and A/C) needed additional adjustments..

I do in fact have IEDs installed. Going to disconnect and see if I have same problem..
You need to either have it remapped or install a fuel management system. You've increased the air flow without changing the fuel input. This leads to a real lean condition.

Just so you know, the IEDs or XIEDs aren't going to help when the bike is running in open loop mode. The O2 sensors only operate while in closed loop mode, which is up to 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, like the pilot jet in a carbed engin. To keep the engine runing properly above 1/4-1/3 when the air flow has been increased, you need to remap the ECU to provide more fuel to match the air intake.

You should take care of this as soon as you can, otherwise eginde damage, such as burning a valve, can occur.

If you want a fuel management system, I hear the Thundermax with Autotune is the best, but it will cost you almost as much as getting it remapped at a shop with a dyno.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaffney
You need to either have it remapped or install a fuel management system. You've increased the air flow without changing the fuel input. This leads to a real lean condition.

Just so you know, the IEDs or XIEDs aren't going to help when the bike is running in open loop mode. The O2 sensors only operate while in closed loop mode, which is up to 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, like the pilot jet in a carbed engin. To keep the engine runing properly above 1/4-1/3 when the air flow has been increased, you need to remap the ECU to provide more fuel to match the air intake.

You should take care of this as soon as you can, otherwise eginde damage, such as burning a valve, can occur.

If you want a fuel management system, I hear the Thundermax with Autotune is the best, but it will cost you almost as much as getting it remapped at a shop with a dyno.
closed loop is the entire throttle range after the bike has warmed up unless you bypass the 02 sensors.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gaffney
Just so you know, the IEDs or XIEDs aren't going to help when the bike is running in open loop mode.
Yes, but in open loop it doesn't matter because the ECM commands a rich (read "safe") mixture by default. On a bike with no internal engine mods (e.g., cams or ported heads) or headers, IED/XiED is all you need. Of course, to squeeze out every last bit of performance, auto-tune or dyno tune is the only way to go.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tk353
closed loop is the entire throttle range after the bike has warmed up unless you bypass the 02 sensors.
I think you are confusing the Warmup Enrichment (WE) table with open loop. An engine warming up is indeed in open loop, and additionally uses the WE table to add additional fuel. Even though cold startup is the only time the WE table is used, it is not the only time open loop is utilized. For example, when you go WOT you are in open loop.

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation when goosed...