Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd vibration.. what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Wierd vibration.. what could it be?

On my way into work tonight, I noticed my bike has a little bit of a vibration at low speed (about 10-13mph). It does it in gear with the clutch pulled in, in neutral and with or without the motor running. I guess that means it's not the engine. My brakes look fine front and rear, and they don't seem to affect the vibe. I don't see any evidence of rubbing anywhere. I did just remove and reinstall the primary chain, and I suspect I might not have tightened it enough or maybe too much. ?? I tightened it to about 5/8" but at the loose spot of the chain. Unfortunately, I can't get the bike on a lift or open up the primary until I get home, but it's eating me up trying to figure it out. I don't hear any noise from the primary, and it shifts fine. It just vibrates (and it feels like it's coming from the rear) at low speed. This thing is driving me nuts! I just replace the stator in it a week ago. All I want to do is ride it and not worry about what will happen next! Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mplecha
On my way into work tonight, I noticed my bike has a little bit of a vibration at low speed (about 10-13mph). It does it in gear with the clutch pulled in, in neutral and with or without the motor running. I guess that means it's not the engine. My brakes look fine front and rear, and they don't seem to affect the vibe. I don't see any evidence of rubbing anywhere. I did just remove and reinstall the primary chain, and I suspect I might not have tightened it enough or maybe too much. ?? I tightened it to about 5/8" but at the loose spot of the chain. Unfortunately, I can't get the bike on a lift or open up the primary until I get home, but it's eating me up trying to figure it out. I don't hear any noise from the primary, and it shifts fine. It just vibrates (and it feels like it's coming from the rear) at low speed. This thing is driving me nuts! I just replace the stator in it a week ago. All I want to do is ride it and not worry about what will happen next! Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated!
Is you rear wheel spoked? I am thinking some kind of wobble in the rear wheel maybe...? Have you had your tires replaced recently?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member

I've got solid rims and about 1000 miles on the new rear tire. It looks like I'm just going to have to put it on the lift and spin it when I get home.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member

All this just goes to show - it's best to look for the simplest solution first. It turned out my belt was pretty loose. All is well again.