Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar replacement?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Eveready77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle bar replacement?

Hello y'all, I have an '04 Heritage with a sundowner seat, I have finally had enough of reaching for the handle bars, I can roll the stock bars down but then they look a bit odd and my controlls don't roll up enough to look right. I'm looking at replaceing the bars now and I'm trying to decide between apes or beach bars. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Also, I ride from Chattanooga Tn. to Panama city Fl. twice a year so this is main reason to look at finding more comfortable bars. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, -Eveready77

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eveready77
Hello y'all, I have an '04 Heritage with a sundowner seat, I have finally had enough of reaching for the handle bars, I can roll the stock bars down but then they look a bit odd and my controlls don't roll up enough to look right. I'm looking at replaceing the bars now and I'm trying to decide between apes or beach bars. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Also, I ride from Chattanooga Tn. to Panama city Fl. twice a year so this is main reason to look at finding more comfortable bars. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, -Eveready77
I am also considering the beach bars for my 09 Road King but am curious to know the diff from stock, especially pull back since I'm reaching for the bars just a bit too much. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Wild1 Chubby 515 mini apes on my 08 Heritage. They put your hands and wrists in the proper position..

Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Check these out (link below). They're kinda in between apes and stock. More of a pull-back but wider. I run them, so you can see them in my sig pic.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Maybe a little better angle.........

Attachment 5068
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by CrawdadAZ; 10-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the Sundowner seat for when I ride with a passenger. My main concern was how it would impact my position to my beach bar handlebars. They have the internal wires and I didn't want to replace the beach bars also. It turned out that it fit me perfect. I am 5'11" and what I consider ideal may be different then you, even if have the same upper body height and length of arms as me.
I switch from the SE seat to the Sundowner at least once a week.
Tom

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

If your Heritage has 2" risers, you might consider putting Deluxe risers on it as it will give the bars a little more pull back.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Eveready77
1st Gear

Thank you for the feed back fellas, I'm gonna try some 12.5" apes my buddy has laying around and see what we come up with. Gotta have something a bit more comfortable for the ride to Panama City.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:25 PM
bret2005
Cruiser

As my sig pic shows, I have a 105th Heritage and being about 5' 9" I too have to reach more than I'm comfortable with. I've tried to lower the bars and encountered similar results with handling and still not being close enough. I've even changed seats to the HD one piece w/backrest. The new seat raised me up about 1.5" and moved me forward about 1.5 - 2 inches, which I liked for the reach to the bars, but now I'm too close to the tank and feel cramped. Besides, I really found the stock Heritage seat extremely comfortable and the wife likes her touring pillion much better than the one piece.

So, I called my local dealer and asked about switching the risers to gain some pull back, they told me that I cannot make ANY mods to the risers without changing all my cables as well. Of course, they followed that up with letting me know that the total cost of risers, cables and labor would run me about 600.00 - all said and done.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with just switching out the risers on a FLSTC. Is my stealer just being overly cautious, or are stock cable lengths truly without tolerance?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
keno
Road Master

Before installing my Chubby 515's, I installed 4up 2back risers on my 08 heritage. I did not have to change out any cables or brake line, but I did have to "re-rout" things to make it work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handle bar replacement?