Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Tuning Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCIII Tuning Info

I recently did a Stage 1 on mine and opted to use the PCIII for the fuel management. So far I am glad I did. I got mine from Fuel Moto with a canned map. I was pretty pleased with the performance with the exception of the pinging under a load at ~50% throttle in the 2k to 4k rpm range. The pinging was not induced by the Stage 1 since it was present in stock form. I have read some posts of retarding the timing a bit with the ignition map to help with this. I spoke to Jamie at FM and he recommended backing the ignition off in the range where the pinging was happening. So I retarded the timing 2 degress in the range where I believed I was experiencing pinging and added some rpm and throttle position overlap. I took it for a ride today and warmed it up to about 200 degees per oil temp. I did a couple of runs in 5th gear where I rolled on the throttle to wide open and followed it with a couple of full throttle 1st to 5th with no pinging observed...yippee!! I still plan to get the d-tune to complete the fine tuning piece...perhaps I will get this from Santa.

I like this PCIII since you can actually see what is being offset from the ECM though out the throttle and rpm range. It is not a black box and so easy to use. You can also easily copy the map cells into excel and plot out the fuel and ignition curves if you desire.

Cheers.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

You need to keep in mind that the PCIII maps are not true fuel maps. They are actually fuel modification maps. They are the + or - % change from the ECM base map. So there is still a little bit of Black box mixed in there but it does help.

Sounds like you made the right change. You could have also tried to add in little bit of fuel with the Accelerator Pump function. I think that works better if it pings anytime you get into the throttle. If it is just one spot then the retard method works pretty well. I retarded my map for the most of the high TPS and Low RPMS.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Can a PCIII map be customized to reduce heat at idle?

XIEDs cooled down the bike a lot with stock pipes, but since I put the Supertrapp on the rear pipe is roasting me at stop lights. Bike runs great though..feels like more torque down low. I only feel the heat when stopped in traffic or at a light.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

A PCIII will let you tune the cylinders seperately so you can run the rear cylinder rich in the LOW RPMS. That is how I have mine set up right now and does seem to be cooler in traffic.

BTW 2007 bikes can get a download from HD to turn on the Parade mode. That shuts the fuel off to the rear cylinder at stops. If there is no fuel then there is no heat.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
*PIGPEN*
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info for me when i install a PCIII for mine.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser

You do not need the XIEDs or IEDs with a PCIII since you eliminate the O2 sensors, well unless you live in CA. Most of the maps I have seen have the fuel values set to 0 at idle and 0 throttle. This is the way mine is set up. Mine has minimal decel popping at higher rpm, and none at low rpm. I may increase the fuel settings a bit at higher rpm/zero throttle to eliminate it. I want to see my gas mileage on this tank before I make any additional changes. The heat off mine is noticably less since I have done the upgrade, especially sitting at idle.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How difficult is altering your map with the PCIII? I have a PCIII with a dyno tuned map but feel like I may be running a little rich in the mid range b/c my mpg are around 36 or 37. I pulled the plugs and they are not sooty or anything.

Also, what does pinging sound like (probably like a ping I guess)? I ask b/c my bike has what sounds like valve noise, but I've heard the TC88's are kinda noisy anyway. Just wondering if this is normal. Bike runs great, just think I should get better mpg.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

It is more of a tick than a ping

Old 09-19-2008, 07:13 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn
A PCIII will let you tune the cylinders seperately so you can run the rear cylinder rich in the LOW RPMS. That is how I have mine set up right now and does seem to be cooler in traffic.

BTW 2007 bikes can get a download from HD to turn on the Parade mode. That shuts the fuel off to the rear cylinder at stops. If there is no fuel then there is no heat.
I've got a US spec bike in Japan, so I deal with HD Japan shops. They can't get the US stage 1 map. I'm having my rear tire changed this weekend and they will check if the Japan spec parade map can be installed.

I've heard PCIII can advance or retard spark. If this is true, how would advancing or retarding spark (at idle) affect heat?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn
It is more of a tick than a ping
Yeah, it's definately a tick sound I'm hearing. That's why I have dismissed it as normal. Just thought I would ask.

Quick Reply: PCIII Tuning Info