Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Map Change/Pinging

Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PCIII Map Change/Pinging

I have a PCIII with a dynoed map. I think I may have a little pinging. I don't really want to get another tune. Can I alter the map I've got, or would it be better get another map from Jamie at Fuelmoto? I would think altering my tuned map would be the best option.

Next question, how difficult is changing the map? I have a laptop, but am not sure where to go from there.

Last question, is it possible to run too rich, and have pining? My mpg is only about 36/37. I'm not sure if what I hear is pining, it just sounds like valve tapping, could be nothing but normal sounds.

Sorry for the ramble, it's the weekend.

thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 PM
hardhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was experiencing pinging with mine too, so i used the three buttons on the unit to richen up the mixture. i richened the mixture in the rpm range i heard the pinging. then i would go for a ride. did that a few times. i ended up going up three dashes up on each button. my mileage before using the buttons was 38 on the highway and afterwards it was still 38. but the pinging is gone now. i dont think this is the most effective way to tune a bike but it worked good for me. BTW my bike runs cooler now that i adjusted the fuel delivery. Now i know what everybody was talkin about with heat comin off the 96in motors. Go figure!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WARG, you can modify that map you are running now. Just open up the program, connect the PC to the bike, and click on get map (bike has to be on, but not running). Then disconnect the PC from the bike and save that map. Then open that map back up from the program and save it again, but under a different name. This new one is the one you will modify. You can select individual cells and type in whatever value you want, so you can take them down or up a little or a lot. Then send that new map back to the bike (make sure your old one is saved on your PC first)
Anyone have anything else to add, I may have forgotten something, but that is the basic jist.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:49 AM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably is pinging. Mine pinged before and after the stage 1 mods around mid throttle at 2 - 4k rpm. I modified the original map I received from FM and retarded the timing 2 degrees (-2) in the area of the pinging with some overlap. Pinging is gone now.

Just as BluBob said changing the map is easy. Connect it, turn on the ignition, save the map. Once saved you can modify it in the program offline then reconnect and send the map to the PCIII. Should also verify the throttle position also which takes about 30sec.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine dyno tuned and it was way different than a canned map and runs great.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, I will play with it this week. I have a few days off so I'll probably be posting back with some questions/feedback etc.

How can I know which RPM range the pinging is occuring in? Just guessing if I don't have a tach?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
How can I know which RPM range the pinging is occuring in? Just guessing if I don't have a tach?
Good question!!!!!
How do you get the RPM range if, say, you have a Fatboy??
Tweaking on a PCIII, or any other fuel management will be ifffeee at best..

Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by azfathog17
It probably is pinging. Mine pinged before and after the stage 1 mods around mid throttle at 2 - 4k rpm. I modified the original map I received from FM and retarded the timing 2 degrees (-2) in the area of the pinging with some overlap. Pinging is gone now.

Just as BluBob said changing the map is easy. Connect it, turn on the ignition, save the map. Once saved you can modify it in the program offline then reconnect and send the map to the PCIII. Should also verify the throttle position also which takes about 30sec.
Could you explain what you did to change the timing? Thanks!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry if this is a dumb question fellas, but what are you guys referring to when you talk a bout pinging?

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser

Pinging is also called pre-ignition and sounds like sort of a crackling sound from the motor.

I do not have a tach so I estimated 1/2 throttle and mid rpm (3k) as a starting point and added in -2 (-2 degrees) for the ignition cells at those values. I plan to make one more adjustment by removing the timing change in the range where fuel has significantly been increased. It was pretty easy and I agree it is not perfect. I am pretty happy with the way it runs now. I also plan to get mine dyno tuned in the future.

tk did you get an advanced map with your dyno?