Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Radius on Rocker and "popping"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 AM
kylant
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down V&H Big Radius on Rocker and "popping"

guys,

those of you that have put V&H big radius pips on your rockers, are you getting any popping out of them? if so, what have you done to minimize or get rid of it?

i have a set on my bike and i consistently get decel popping and popping at other times as well (i don't think with accelleration)

I have installed a K&N filter with the SE stage 1 backing plate, and a set of Xieds. I think i may be lean, but am not sure.

What is a good way to go with tuning for my set-up?

thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My suggestion is to install a PCIII or some other type of fuel management system.

I had popping on deceleration on my Train really bad until I put in a PCIII.

Now I couldn't get my bike to pop if my life depended on it.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM
BrendanGTStang
Cruiser

The first thing I would do is to check and make sure that the exhaust gaskets are not leaking. I kept the stock exhaust gaskets on when I first put on my Hooker troublemakers, and I got some very bad popping and backfiring on deaccel, and that was with the bike tuned properly on the dyno w/ a PC III. Took those out and put in some screamin eagle gaskets, made sure there was no leaks, and I cant get it to pop or backfire now. But if there arent any leaks, then I would definitely say you would need a PC III, SERT, etc. and get it tuned on a dyno. It makes a world of difference.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Or here's what's working for me with my V&H Short Shot Staggereds on my Rocker C: Go to the local stealer and get the Stage 1 download installed. I had it done when I had the Screaming Eagle slip-ons and when I swapped out exhaust, I was expecting to need a race tuner or other fuel management system. Instead, my bike runs just fine with no pops or anything. For around $150 it's well worth it!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have decel popping with that setup and already have XiED's installed, I have to believe it's due to an exhaust leak. If you used the V&H gaskets, I'd look there first.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
kylant
Road Captain

When I installed the pipes I used new stock gaskets. I have checked and double checked. I am pretty sure I do not have an exhaust leak, but i could be wrong. I guess I will get new screamin eagle exhaust gaskets, and get the download.

I would like to get some other fuel management system, but need to wait. I just need a temporary fix.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you used stock gaskets, then I don't think the SE ones will buy you anything. The tapered seat on the stockers makes them pretty much foolproof.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the V&H 2-1 along with the heavy breather so I got the remap.. I still get some popping on decel..

Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Krafty04
Intermediate

I put on the V&H Big Rad's and Big Sucka intake. I was warned from day one to get the flash done by the dealer so I don't burn anything up, they run pretty hot without upping the fuel. I did the flash (for like $200) and still had popping. Seems the remap was at the limit of the ECU so I went with a custom mapped Power Commander.
Now, I have no popping unless I try to force it (you know when you want to pop it) but the best is when i brake the a$$ end loose, if I could figure out how to get traction I swear the front end would come up.