Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffled by baffles?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Baffled by baffles?

I want to get the Big Thunder Monster Baffles for my Vance & Hines 2-2 pipes, not sure what size to get and what sound i'll get out of them.

any of you guys can fill me in?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,115 Likes on 6,203 Posts

This has been my experience.

I bought my 95 Heritage about a month ago. When I got the bike, I found it to be sort of loud, especially on the interstate. There was a high pitch sound to it I didn't like and I was getting some popping when I would let off the accelerator. I also had problems with the bike being very cold natured where every time I would start it, even if it had been running a while, I would have to use the choke.

I looked at my exhausts but they looked stocked. I decided to check out the mufflers closely and found there were no baffles or anything in there.

I ordered a set of baffles from Big City Thunder. I called them to make sure I got the right size instead of just doing it on their website. The baffles arrived along with a free t-shirt.

Install was very simple. I put them at the end of the header pipes, just ahead of the mufflers.

The bike runs perfect now. The high pitched noise is gone. It also sounds like a very deep rumble has actually increased some. On the interstate, it sounds good and is no longer obnoxious. Before, my dad couldn't stand to ride behind me on his road king because my bike was too loud. Now he wishes his bike sounded more like mine.

I no longer have problems with popping and I no longer have to use the choke all the time.

My bike used to feel somewhat sluggish, but I thought maybe it was because it's a heavy bike (my previous harley was a sportster, even though I have ridden other people's tour glides, electra glides, etc.). I thought that I would be doing some major engine work to wake it up. Now, I decided I don't need to do those things. I cannot believe how much these simple little baffles have increased my low end torque and get up and go. I have to hold on when I twist the throttle now. It's by no means a drag bike or anything like that, but compared to the sluggishness before, this is night and day.

So I am very happy with the baffles. I have to admit, when I opened up the package and saw them, I said to myself $80 for this? I figured since I had them anyway, might as well try them and am glad I did.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
SAS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to order baffles to the size of your pipes. i.e. My pipes are 2 1/4 long shots, so when I was looking for baffles. On most sites this will be listed saying dont order baffles if you measured the ID of the pipes. Baffles are listed and sold to match the pipes OD. This website should be able to help you understand.
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...st_baffles.htm

Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prot
This has been my experience.

I ordered a set of baffles from Big City Thunder. I called them to make sure I got the right size instead of just doing it on their website. The baffles arrived along with a free t-shirt.
That is the best recommedation. Vance & Hines Pipes are popular enough they could tell you what size baffle. Just give them a call.

Great review on the baffle, BTW. But how was the Free T-Shirt?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

i'll give them a call before i buy anything. thank you guys

Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Canada Bobcat
Intermediate

When I ordered mine up I just called and the lady that answered was very helpful in making sure I got the right ones and gave a quick installation run down. Mine are still in the boxes though since the bike hasn't arrived yet.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
lastbike
Intermediate

i have a set i ll sell you for forty dollars, i live in ne pa, i tried them in my br and found them to be deeper but louder then the stock baffles which really made the sound bounce off the pavement and made more irritating than a good sound, i m thinking about a set of rinehart pipes to get a deeper sound, if you interested in the baffles let me know lastbike

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Jzabel
Tourer

You won't regret it....I have them in mine and they sound great...such a low rumble, it has set off car alarms just by riding by them.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lastbike
i have a set i ll sell you for forty dollars, i live in ne pa, i tried them in my br and found them to be deeper but louder then the stock baffles which really made the sound bounce off the pavement and made more irritating than a good sound, i m thinking about a set of rinehart pipes to get a deeper sound, if you interested in the baffles let me know lastbike
hey bro, thanks for the offer but I ordered mine earlier today, i would have taken you up on the offer. I'm supper psyched about throwing these on my bike, 95% of the feedback i've heard from people that have them is positive.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lastbike

lastbike, I sent you a PM