Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bike won't start???

Posted this in electrical forum also, but thought with so many more viewing here I might get a quicker answer.

I have 2000 Heritage that is carburated. The bike is totally stock with 6000 miles on it.

I went to start it and only got the clicking, not turning over at all. First thing I did was tightened the battery posts, this seemed to work after push starting it.

Next day bike was dead again. So bought new battery, charged it to 12.5 volts and installed it. Started bike right off. Shut it off and it started again. Shut it off and it was dead again???

Let bike sit for a couple hours, buddy comes over to take a look at it. Starts right up again! He throws a meter on the battery terminals, bike is not charging at an idle. Crack the throttle a couple times to get the rpms up and starts charging. Let it idle again and still charging. Crack the throttle again and quits charging and battery falls to 10 volts.

Anyone know where I should look from here??? I have thought I should check the connections on the starter, but not sure what I have to do to get to the starter terminals???

Thanks!

Jim

Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bike is just pissed because you plan to change it's color.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
FirstRealBike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start by inspecting all connections - especially the ground... if they are all good/clean/tight, then my next suspect would be a faulty voltage regulator to explain intermitant charging/not charging.
Intermitant no start really has nothing to do with your charging system though. A fully charged battery should start your bike every time until the amount of charge drops below the minimum voltage required to opperate starter. Also check your starter switch by removing the small wire at the starter solonoid and checking it with a voltmeter to verify proper voltage when switch is enguaged. If all connections are good and battery is fully charged, your starter may be begining to fail.
So basically it sounds like two different symptoms which leads me back to thinking bad ground...

Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

Get the bike running and check your battery voltage. With the engine running, it should be around 14 volts dc give or take a little. if it's not (and lower than battery voltage with the motor off) your stator, rotor or regulator could be the problem. It sounds to me like the battery is not charging with the bike running.

Oops! I just reread your post. I'd check the stator next. Disconnect the voltage regulator and put the meter (AC volts) on the stator connector (the side coming out of the primary) and check the voltage there. It should vary between 20 and 60 volts ac depending on rpm. I just had to replace my stator. It went from 5vac at idle to maybe 20. It was pretty badly burnt when I got it out. Speaking of which, you'd probably smell a burnt stator already. NASTY! Is your check engine or battery light coming on?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
That is a good one!

OK, I will not change the tins.......this month

Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member

What do I have to do to get to the starter? Remove back fender??? Take the oil tank out???

I would like to check the wire connections on the starter. They are good at the regulator.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
What do I have to do to get to the starter? Remove back fender??? Take the oil tank out???

I would like to check the wire connections on the starter. They are good at the regulator.

Thanks,

Jim
It is in your primary. I recommend getting a manual for your bike and read it well then determine your ability to do the job.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Originally Posted by man4mopar
It is in your primary. I recommend getting a manual for your bike and read it well then determine your ability to do the job.
Ordered and payed for the manual from the dealer two weeks ago! Still not in. As for my "ability to do the job", heck I can tear anything apart.

I figure that after I get the bike tore so far apart, I might as well put the new goodies I have for it on.

I now have the whole back end off.........bags, passenger pillion, seat, backrest, rear fender, splash gaurd.......and I STILL CAN NOT SEE the wires going to the starter!

I guess the oil tank is the next project.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
lol, that gave me a good chuckle crawdad......

Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by man4mopar
Forget what I replied with above, I some how I read stator when starter was wrote. Probably because reading this post I have stator on the mind as culprit, that or regulator.
Good luck with your fix, hope your back on the road reliably soon.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start???