Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Q Series Double Barrels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post V&H Q Series Double Barrels

Anyone running the Vance & Hines Double Barrel Q-Series exhaust on their Softail? Since Q stands for quieter, just how quiet are these things? Definitely want them louder than the stock lawn mower sounding exhaust that comes stock. I love of the look of these Q-Series and am looking for a more mellow rumble than a lot of noise, which is what I hope they deliver. I got V&H Straighshot noise makers on my Sportster and I must be getting old cause everytime I ride, I give myself a headache....lol.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM
irishfastback
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not running those, but I was thinking about it and talked to VH and this is what they said:

Big Radius 104-107db
Bigshot Staggerds w/ quiet baffles 99db w/o quiet baffles 102db.
Stock 82-84 db. Every 10db is double the sound.
Quietest exhaust is the Double Barrell Staggerds 95-96db

hope this helps

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

there was a guy that had a post on here about a year ago that said he had the "Q" series on his softie. Was looking to purchase stock pipes because they were not that much quieter. I haven't heard them, but if quieter sound but better performance is what you are looking for, you may want to find some one with them. This guy was happy with the HP boost, but thought the were still too loud for his neighbors.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
lilwilly
Intermediate

I've got them on my 08 Deluxe. I really like the pipes and the sound. They are definetly louder than stock with a deep mellow sound. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the input Lilwilly

Originally Posted by lilwilly
I've got them on my 08 Deluxe. I really like the pipes and the sound. They are definetly louder than stock with a deep mellow sound. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Thanks lilWilly and all....***** this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I want a nice mellow deep sound but not necessarily ear drum breaking.

What kind of setup are you running with these pipes as far as A/C and fuel delivery go? I'm thinking of going with the S/E AC and having the dealer do a SERT download. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Berm
Cruiser

I have these pipes on my 2008 Deluxe with a S/E AC. Started off with the download. Still got a lot of decel pops. I went to an local indy shop and got the PCIII with a dyno. The bike runs great and got terrific numbers from the tuner: 75.34 horses and just over 90.432 of torque. Save your money and skip the download. For me the pipes are great. They are plenty deep and loud and I have no regrets. Not even close to stock.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
creb
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my 08 deluxe as well. (The "longs") The interesting things is that they are more quiet durring idle than many pipes ive heard, but still can roar when you want them too. I like them quite a bit. Sounds like a harley, and you'll turn heads, but you wont **** anyone off. You wont come back from a long ride with ringing ears either. I did a PCIII with a certain map (might take some research, let me know if you want me to find out), the SE air kit, and it worked like a charm from the very first start. Not a single hicup. Didnt need to dyno it.

*All my work is done by my buddy, a former HD mechanic, so you can trust me when i say you dont need the dyno.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
2002fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been considering those pipes as well on my '02 Fatty. I currently have the older Screamin' Eagles II's but prefer the styling of the Q series and BSS. I too am concerned about being too loud and am not sure of the difference in sound level between the Q series and the Screamin' Eagle II's. I, like you, prefer the deeper tone.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
NC Pirate
Road Master

I have them on the fatty, and love them. Like the others said, a deeper sound, not too loud at idle or just cruising, but they will bark when you want them to.....

I'm running a K&N and SERT....

Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM
lilwilly
Intermediate

I have the SE AC and went with the stage I download. No popping - runs great. These pipes actually used to be HD brand Screaming Eagle 16 ga double barrell pipes. Since loudness became a factor, HD stoped selling them so the original manufacturer which is V&H now sells them.

Quick Reply: V&H Q Series Double Barrels