Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oven Cleaner Damage to my Engine ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Oven Cleaner Damage to my Engine ..

Hi All,
I have read a few threads here about Oven Cleaner Damage, it seems there is one Polish that worked well with one fellow here but his Engine was Aluminum shining Evo.
I have the TC88 Silver Finish which has some ugly spots now.

I have a few questions..
1 - What is the cost/labour of taking the whole Engine off, grinding it, and powder coat ? .. how much would a shop charge ? maybe I should just do it when I plan to put big bore kit next year ?.
2 - Would using ScotchBrite help ? or would it do more harm ?.
3 - If I use ScotchBrite ? do I need to buy a clear coat spray or something to protect the Engine ? I imagine I will remove some of the factory finish .

I know now the right way to use an oven cleaner on my chrome pipes , expensive lesson , but I appreciate your help to make the engine look at least better until I have cash/time to take it out and finish it properly.

Regards

Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scothbrite will get rid of your spots, but it will make it look dull in the area you used it, you'll have to decide which is the lesser of two evils on that one. As far as pulling the motor out, unless you have experience or have a buddy with some I'd stay away from it. It's not pulling it that's hard it's just knowing what to do when you put humpty together again. You could always go with the hi-temp enginge paint, I've heard of a few guys on here that's done it, and I've seen pics.....looks pretty good, then when you have money get it powdercoated.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok,

My local store does not have any scotch brite, now since I am 'new' to this I would like to know more details.
Here is my guess and correct me if I am wrong.

1 - I am getting a 'sander polishers' tool < any recommended speeds ?>
2 - What type of surface do I need to work on the engine ?.. certain 'grit' I believe ?
3 - When I am done scrubbing the bad spots I finish it by spraying a clear coat .

Am I correct ? all input is welcome

Regards

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
stmpulr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Ok,

My local store does not have any scotch brite, now since I am 'new' to this I would like to know more details.
Here is my guess and correct me if I am wrong.

1 - I am getting a 'sander polishers' tool < any recommended speeds ?>
2 - What type of surface do I need to work on the engine ?.. certain 'grit' I believe ?
3 - When I am done scrubbing the bad spots I finish it by spraying a clear coat .

Am I correct ? all input is welcome

Regards
I would be VERY careful of sanders and polishers unless you are experienced. 3M scotch pads are available at any auto body supply store. They are available in different grads of coarseness Maroon,gray, white, gold etc...
You could try wheel acid in a small inconspicuous area and see what that may do for you (cold motor). Again available at auto body supply shops and places that sell aluminum mag wheel cleaner.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:21 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stmpulr
I would be VERY careful of sanders and polishers unless you are experienced. 3M scotch pads are available at any auto body supply store. They are available in different grads of coarseness Maroon,gray, white, gold etc...
You could try wheel acid in a small inconspicuous area and see what that may do for you (cold motor). Again available at auto body supply shops and places that sell aluminum mag wheel cleaner.
Just my 2 cents.
thanks Man, I live in Canada, so Canadian tires is my store, I will go look Thursday night when I am home for that stuff, so I'll try Scotch bride pads + wheel acid.

I have replaced my Cam cover with a chromed one, so I will grab the bad cover and take it home and see if I can fix it.

If anybody else has any ideas, I am all ears.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck. Be very careful...Let us know.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 PM
SDEUCET
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD Part #98606by Aerosol silver bead blast Zanottis had it for like $15

Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck ...sounds tricky

Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SDEUCET
HD Part #98606by Aerosol silver bead blast Zanottis had it for like $15
Oh thanks,

So you think I should spray this after I use the Scotch brite pad ? (I am assuming it is a spray) ?

Regards

Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Hi All,
I have read a few threads here about Oven Cleaner Damage, it seems there is one Polish that worked well with one fellow here but his Engine was Aluminum shining Evo.
I have the TC88 Silver Finish which has some ugly spots now.

I have a few questions..
1 - What is the cost/labour of taking the whole Engine off, grinding it, and powder coat ? .. how much would a shop charge ? maybe I should just do it when I plan to put big bore kit next year ?.
2 - Would using ScotchBrite help ? or would it do more harm ?.
3 - If I use ScotchBrite ? do I need to buy a clear coat spray or something to protect the Engine ? I imagine I will remove some of the factory finish .

I know now the right way to use an oven cleaner on my chrome pipes , expensive lesson , but I appreciate your help to make the engine look at least better until I have cash/time to take it out and finish it properly.

Regards
if you have the aluminum cases. And you need to clean em so that they look like the cases just came out of the mold at the factory. Here's what to do to get that look. This is for porous metal. I know what worked for me. I had owned triumphs and many thought I used silver paint on my cases. You need to purchase Eagle 1. It's a wheel cleaner for aluminum mags that do not have a clear coated finish on them. This Eagle 1 has 2 etching acids in there that wont harm your chrome or painted surfaces. You just spray it on with the bottle it comes in. It will foam up white in color. For stubborn spots. Use a tooth brush. Dont use a wire brush. the results with a wire brush will make that area look brighter as in showing off scratches from the wire bristols. After about 5 minutes of letting the foam do its thing. Just wash it off with your garden hose. If you apply this eagle one to smooth aluminum that has a shine to it. It will clean it but it will turn it white or a dull looking aluminum. You will have to go back and just polish it like you would your chrome. The white color it will turn is not deep. its just a light film on it.

RJ

Quick Reply: Oven Cleaner Damage to my Engine ..