Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
FrankT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe

Hello, I am a newbie and I am looking to buy my first HD. I test rode a 2008 Deluxe and loved it! I am leaning toward the 2009 Fatboy (more in my budget) but I have never ridden one. I was told by several dealers that the Fatboy would ride the same as the Deluxe. Can anyone confirm or offer any advice? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I8SMK4U
Tourer

Both are Softail Models. FL Series. Good choice. Now you can go for looks.

Do you want to look like Arnold in Terminator on the FatBoy, or do you want to look like a cool Retro bro on a classic HD. The Deluxe is styled after the old Chevy Deluxe from the 40's.

I love my Heritage Classic. The styling of the White Walls, and the large FL Fender in the front.

To me from the only difference is the seat, handle bars, and front fender.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I8SMK4U
Tourer

If your gonna throw down that much dough anyways get what you want.

You only get one first bike.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I also looked at both bikes before deciding on a Deluxe, the turning point for me was the solid wheels on the Fatboy. I had talked to a few owners of Fats and they all confirmed in a cross wind the bike would almost get away from them, one guy lost his on the way back from the dealership when a tractor trailer passed him (this could have been driver error ???).
This is just one thing to factor in your decision. In no way am I dissing the Fatboy they are fine looking bikes, I'm sure you will hear from owners and their experiences.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I liked the nostalgic look of the Deluxe too!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by VigilantOutlaw
one guy lost his on the way back from the dealership when a tractor trailer passed him (this could have been driver error ???).
Most likely driver error. Pretty much the same bike.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I'd go with a Deluxe.

One difference not mentioned yet is that the Deluxe sits an inch or so lower. Looks better, lower center of gravity and feet firmly on the ground.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
FragCity
Advanced

I also looked at both bikes before deciding on a Deluxe, the turning point for me was the solid wheels on the Fatboy. I had talked to a few owners of Fats and they all confirmed in a cross wind the bike would almost get away from them, one guy lost his on the way back from the dealership when a tractor trailer passed him (this could have been driver error ???).
This is just one thing to factor in your decision. In no way am I dissing the Fatboy they are fine looking bikes, I'm sure you will hear from owners and their experiences.
I own an '08 Fatboy.

That is totally driver ERROR!! I ride the Chesapeake Bay Bridge all the Time and have never lost my bike. A tractor trailer is not going to cause you to lose your bike unless you are just holding it like a baby and not paying attention.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seat heighth is slightly higher on the Fatboy. Other than that, the differences are cosmetic. IMO, the Deluxe is one of the best looking stock HD's.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what a bogus myth!!! every wheel, when turning about 40 mph, will act as a solid wheel. if someone lost it - they don't need to be riding.

the cool thing about the FayBoy is the FAT rear tire.

Quick Reply: Advice - Fatboy vs. Deluxe