Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailoring/Tieing down my Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
lmferris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailoring/Tieing down my Heritage

I am trailoring my Heritage from Pennsylvania to Smokey Mountain Tenn. Using 1 bike trailor rented from U-Haul -- it has a v-wedge for the front whee. Need advice on where to tie down the bike. U-haul dealer suggests all i need to do is tie down handle bars... i am very nervous about that as i have heard Harley does not recommend tying down the handle bars. related question --should I remove windshield and/or saddlebags prior to.

thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ride it???

Attached Thumbnails Trailoring/Tieing down my Heritage-100_0583.jpg   Trailoring/Tieing down my Heritage-100_0577.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM
bloodyhead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 2 sets of tie downs on the frount and one set on the back. That way if one lets go,the other catches it.The back is to just secure it from moving around just in case some hard breaking or evasive driving occurrs. Snug down good is all you need without bottoming out the shocks. If your shocks want take that,their no good anyways.I don't reconmend you leave it tieded down overnight or storing it for any lenth of time like that.I would remove the windshield just to protect it also and to keep it clean but it would ride alright installed,IF we are talking about obeying the speed limits.Have a good trip.............

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tie mine down using the triple tree, not the handlebars.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the triple tree tie down. Save your handlebars from all that stress.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your local motorcycle towering company for expert advice. I believe when mine was towed it was the handle bars and the frame

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
Why not ride it???

gee - wonder why he didn't think of that... so simple.......

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the locking tab on the front fork ('97 Heritage) and the base of the sissy bar for the backs and pull until I get no movement. The way it sits on my trailer is at about a60 degree angle so the downward force is there with minimal compression on the shocks. Took two bikes, side-by-side, like that without a prob. The front tire "V" is great additional as long as it supports the bike upright.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to trailer my Heritage not long ago - I used tie downs on the swing arms for the rear and the forks on the front. But, the trailer I used did not have tie down brakcets on the floor, so I had to tie them down to the trailer side rails.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Two straps

I have a deuce, but I bought the handlebar cushion straps from HD and put them on the handlebars using one set of straps. Then I take a second set of straps and put them on the opposite way so if I hit a bump and the bike straps loosen up, only one would fall off. Then I take a strap tie and fasten them together so they won't do that either. The back is tied on each side to what ever looks solid. On one side it is the frame and on the other side it is where the shock attaches.

Quick Reply: Trailoring/Tieing down my Heritage