Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chroming Swingarm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
dobeman21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chroming Swingarm?

I am thinking about having the swingarm on my 05 Deluxe chromed over the winter while the bike is in storage at my local Harley dealer. They would send it out to a chromer and then reinstall it. Has anyone out there had this done and is there a downside of any kind to having the swingarm chromed? I don't like the look of the swingarm that Harley sells since it isn't fully chromed and it is over $500. I have also been looking on ebay for chromed swingarms and it appears that there are some decent deals on them, but I am hesitant to purchase them. I would assume since my local Harley dealer is involved in the procedure that any problems that could arise would be addressed by them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dobeman21
I am thinking about having the swingarm on my 05 Deluxe chromed over the winter while the bike is in storage at my local Harley dealer. They would send it out to a chromer and then reinstall it. Has anyone out there had this done and is there a downside of any kind to having the swingarm chromed? I don't like the look of the swingarm that Harley sells since it isn't fully chromed and it is over $500. I have also been looking on ebay for chromed swingarms and it appears that there are some decent deals on them, but I am hesitant to purchase them. I would assume since my local Harley dealer is involved in the procedure that any problems that could arise would be addressed by them. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I think it is a great idea!! The downside will be more chrome for you to have to polish!!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
spgtti
Advanced

I don't get why anybody chromes a swingarm on a softail. the frame was designed to look like the old rigid frame harleys. Chrome the whole frame not just the tail end of it!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by spgtti
I don't get why anybody chromes a swingarm on a softail. the frame was designed to look like the old rigid frame harleys. Chrome the whole frame not just the tail end of it!
Per-zactly! Friggin' chrome-******!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

Just to **** you off! why do you care? I think chrome is easier to keep clean! just my 2 cent's.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine 3-layer chromed, outstanding looks and quality for $70.00

Mimo.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

If it makes you happy, go for it. I want one for my Dyna, but I've got some more goodies (aftermarket pipes etc.) to save up for first. I think it's a great idea, but then again I'm a chrome lover, and I aint too lazy to clean and polish it!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta agree on this one, the frame is designed to look like a single rigid frame. But, if I was doing it, I would go the route you have described. Would probably be cheaper. Just visit with the chrome shop doing the work and make sure they do good prep work. The key to chroming, painting, powdercoating, etc, is always good prep.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Scruffie
Advanced

Check with a couple of shops including your local indy shops. Many do a chrome exchange where they take yours off & install a recently chromed swingarm & credit you for you'res in exchange. That usually only takes one day & you're back in the wind the next day. I had my lower fork legs done that way.

Scruffie

Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is an awesome idea. I would like to have mine done, but need to spend money elsewhere. Go for it.

Quick Reply: Chroming Swingarm?