Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Danger in Wrapping Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Danger in Wrapping Exhaust?

Been itching to wrap the front part of my pipes, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that it isolates the heat to such an extent that the mild steel header simply gets too brittle & cracks.

Is this just mumbo-jumbo, or is there a grain of truth in there?

If so, would leaving an inch or two near to the heads be of use?

And why is there such a difference in wrapping material quality? Any recommendations?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 AM
XBones09
Intermediate

I'd like to wrap mine too at some point. I'm sure 'WhiteGuy' wrapped his, but think he's removed it now for some reason. I've never heard of what you mention about going brittle, but be interesting if anybody has had any bad experience using it.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 AM
travis dasher
Road Captain

I wrapped my stock exhaust on my Bones and it did just fine. I also have my Santee Snub Noses wrapped. I personally like the look. Black is nice but it fades. If you are going to use black get the spray on coating this will help keep them black longer. Tan looks really nice also. I used pipe fasteners off my heat shields to secure the wrap. I couldnt get the fasteners that came with the wrap tight enough. It will smoke, alot at first, this is normal. The wrap is curing to the pipe. After the smoke is gone it will stink like hell for about a day or two. Wear gloves and a ventilation mask and if you are in a garage turn on a fan so the fiberglass dust gets blown outside. Unless you like having fiberglass boogers. Finally take the exhaust off and wrap it, then re-install it. Trust me it is much easier. Still a pain but easier. Do it, You'll be happy with the outcome. I got my wrap from NAPA 2" x 50' roll was $52. Check Ebay there are alot of good deals.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Watch this space, then..

Old 09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrap actually improves your exhaust for scavenging. Haven't been at the track in years, but that was one thing they used to use extensively. It is the same with ceramic coated pipes, it holds heat inside the pipe, allowing exhaust gasses to properly escape.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Reverend
Tourer

The heat thing works by improving the volumetric efficiency of the scavenging part of the exhaust pulses, which basically means hotter air is thinner and thus easier to move but with relatively standard engines running at a lot lower rpm, I've heard tales of the mild steel headers getting brittle through excessive heating & cooling, leading to splits and cracking, hence the post.

From my angle, I only want to wrap up because they imitate the older racers, but I ain't going to be running that hard to warrant the efficiency, but I don't want to knacker up a brand new pipe.

I guess the only way is to try it & find out. If you ain't in, ya can't win etc..

Old 09-27-2008, 04:18 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Couple-several observations here.

First, since it's a street bike, do it 'cause you like the looks. Unless you're trying to squeeze the last bit of HP out, the wrap won't give you enough extra juice to be noticeable.

Second, expect the wrap to ruin whatever finish is underneath it. It will hold in the heat, and that will probably damage the chrome. It will also trap moisture, and while it will evaporate, any that gets in there when you wash the bike and don't immediately run it dry, will start rusting in all the unseen scratches, etc. Chrome is porous, which is why you see rust breaking through.

Third, the heat trapped by the wrap will probably change the metallurgy of the steel in the pipes. It might cause brittleness, and it might cause the carbon to migrate, which will change the hardness of the steel. Have heard guys say their pipes cracked after wrapping. Caused by the wrap? Beats me.

The process - Read the instructions! Wear rubber-type gloves & long sleeves, maybe even a dust mask. Crap ain't good for you, especially dry fibers sucked into the lungs. Get the wrap good and wet; makes the job easier, even if it is messier. Start at the tail end and wrap toward the head end. That way the overlaps will have less tendency to allow air under them after everything dries. Buy the spray coating that is made for them; keeps 'em oloking good far longer, and helps seal them.

Good luck!