Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies

Added risers today. Love the bike now, just feels right. Tried to take pics, too dark now, but tomorrow. Need to get a new brake line though. They work with the stock brake line, as long as I don't pogo the front end, I should be ok, till maybe tomorrow. Saved groups over what Harley wanted for the slotted ones, and may be able to mount a mini tach with these. 4 inch pull backs for those who care...

Also added black luggage rack, and an oil cooler at the dealer, which dropped the temps about 30-40 degrees.

3000 miles plus and counting.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 PM
firedocs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added 4 inch pull backs on an 08 Heritage tonight and I think that I am going to have to replace the front brake cable as well. It is tight with all the clips on, so I removed one to give it a little breathing room. If I replace it how hard is that, you know with the fluid and all? The rest of the cables are great, no probs.
Tim

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

I would like to see the pics of the bike. I have an 08 FXSTC and think the oil cooler is something I need to add on. I would also like to see the luggage rack. I have about 2,100 miles on mine now. They are great bikes.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
gonetoTDC
Novice
Thumbs up

I have a 08 FXSTC as well. I have been pondering doing the same thing with the risers....yep as a matter of face lemme order those right now..and the brake line..

Old 09-26-2008, 07:17 AM
ambientgravy
Intermediate

I added 6 inch (straight) risers (I had the risers laying around) with the stock cables, it's a temporary thing until I can get some taller apes, longer cables etc. and do it right... my front brake line definitely is maxxed out, as far length is concerned.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing the brake line isn't a big deal but bleeding them is a two person job. Changing the clutch cable is a bit of a bear because of the snap ring inside the transmission housing.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

These are the pix I have right now. I put 4 inch risers on with a little pullback. You may have to take the turn signal off and take the clutch lever off to route it in front of the bars.

I took off both line clamps and zip tied it using the rubber grommet that was already on the line to the top of the triple trees. Have to look closely to see it. You have to secure it so it doesn't get stuck somewhere it shouldn't, but it fits. Check the length by grabbing the front brake and pulling back. If you run out of slack before you top out the forks, you can snap your brake line.

It's a tight fit, but it works. Total job cost, around 70 bux, some mountain dew, and a some advice from the local shop.

Attached Thumbnails 08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies-brakefx.jpg   08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies-brakefx2.jpg   08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies-brakefx3.jpg  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
firedocs
Cruiser

Here are some pics of mine, I haven't rode it yet to adjust the handlebars. It sure feels better just sitting on it.
any thoughts...
Tim

Attached Thumbnails 08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies-risers-002.jpg   08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies-risers-003.jpg  
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Looks good. I like the bars a little more forward. Vertical almost. But if you are not taller, you might not like them up that far. I am going to try and get some pix on Sunday, when I have some better light. It's overcast out now, but should be clear this weekend.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
firedocs
Cruiser

Yeah I noticed that lots of people like them straight up, I am only 5'7" so that is not that comfortable for me. I need a drivers backrest and then I will be set...
Tim

Quick Reply: 08 FXSTC - risers, other goodies