Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Control help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:28 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Forward Control help

Alright folks here's the deal. I just bought a used set of forward controls off of ebay. They were not the top of the line, but a alternative to these crappy floorboards I couldn't stand anyway.
My question is after removing the stock kickstand, I see there is no way to remount it unless you make a new bracket up.
What brand or styles of kickstands did you all use after converting?
Don't want to use a rear mount stand, and I see a bunch on JP's and other sites but wanted to see some different ones here.

Here is the set I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250296468286

I mounted them last night, and they fit perfect. All I need is a kickstand, longer shift linkage, and new brake line(i may be able to rebend the stock one to fit). I love the way my legs are stretched out and can't wait to go out once finished!

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM
hamish
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi tipn8r
I just had the same problem!! you need a kickstand bracket for a 85 - 99 softail I found them on the drag specialities fat book pages 907/908, but when fitted the bike sat more upright as the mounting on the forward controls was slightly lower, I ended up fitting the 1 inch shorter stand and bracket assembly part number 0510-0039 it was $60 in the book
hope this helps

Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM
TIPN8R

Thanks for the reply and help, but I already have the same one which was mounted with my floorboards. The problem is that there is no way to mount the 4 bolt flange to the new bracket. The new controls have only 2 mounting bolts, and the spacer which has 3 sticks out a bit on the top. It really doesn't look bad once installed, but again, I would need either to go with an aftermarket set-up or a rear frame mounted one...

Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM
NixonWho
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is suggestion, check out Arlen Ness website, he has a few lowering kickstands which may help out with your problem. If you are still having problems with a front kickstand, have you ever considered relocating your kickstand to the rear? I know there a few companies out there that have rear kickstand kits too.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM
TIPN8R

Originally Posted by NixonWho
Here is suggestion, check out Arlen Ness website, he has a few lowering kickstands which may help out with your problem. If you are still having problems with a front kickstand, have you ever considered relocating your kickstand to the rear? I know there a few companies out there that have rear kickstand kits too.
Thanks bud. Yea it looks as though I may be going to a rear stand. Just don't want to rig it up in case I decide to go back to the floorboards later in life I just hope it won't look too bulky because I am using PM's Phatail kit and don't need any clearance issue's....

Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
TIPN8R

A few pics of what my situation is:

Looks as though a rear mount for sure is in order and on order!
Gotta attach brake line, add 3" extension on the linkage, and mount the stand and i'm set. Will be done for the weekend ride!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:01 PM
TIPN8R

Well update already. I straightened out the stock brake line and it fits perfectly. Filled it and bled it, works perfect! Took apart the same peg to see the internals. These are no doubt the cheaper ones using brass bushings. As luck would have it, one of them is in bad shape while the other is perfect. I'll take it to work, and just press in another new one and be done for now. This winter I will take it completely apart to have powder coated black and also will machine the inside just a bit to accept roller bearings.