Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Strick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest

I have read through many threads via a search regarding which rear bag system is best. At street vibrations (a Reno bike event) I met the owner of the easy bracket system, which is a locking system. He told me that his system is used in conjuction with the HD detachable backrest bracket and with that in place is bracket would stick out about 1 1/2 to 2". That is probably not the best look when the bags are off.

Here are some questions I have:

How important is the locking system? Is bags being stolen a well known event? - I doubt I will have many overnight excursions on this bike.

Does any system include a combo backrest and detachable bag system?

Which looks the best with the bags removed?

Which looks best with bags on?

Does any system have any hidden costs (other than the system price).

I have seen threads on Bubbas, Easybracket, Barebacks.

Thank in advance for all info!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain

All I could say is I like the Bubba's quick release system from my own personal experience. They work well with the HD quick release back rest, my bags do lock, so no problems with theft. When bags aren't on, the system doesn't look obtrusive at all. Easy on and easy off.

Bubba's brackets with bags off.

Last edited by 07deluxe; 09-29-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My theory is, only another biker would really steal bag or parts off of motorcycle, because you would have to have some knowledge of motorcycles and until I owned one, I would have no idea what i was attempting to do or what i would do with it. That being said, also, I would think most people have a conscious and would worry if they stole something off someones bike, it will be done to theirs.

Also, touching a bikers bike without invitation, is an absolute invite for an *** kicking. Respect rains high in the motorcycle community. You never know who the biker next door knows or is affiliated with.

And then also, there is just plain dirt bags out there. You can only do so much, and do as much as you can, with the money you can afford to protect you. I dont have saddlebages, but i have the detachable backrest/luggage rack and anytime im over night with my TourMaster Bag, the whole setup pops on off so easy, why not take it in with you wherever you are staying.

Dont risk it. The one time you leave it out, some teenager or jealous biker will pop it off within seconds.

And the HD detachable kit, doesnt look bad at all, not even noticeable to anyone unless i show them how it works...u can view my pics for more detail or view above post to see..not much of a difference at all.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I installed easy brackets, they work great and come with all necessary hardware. Fits and works perfectly with the HD quick detach sissy bar. They do stick out further than I like but I am happy with them. Also, they work with most bags including these used bags I got on this forum. Also, I think I read that Bubba's work only with Harley Bags?

Attached Thumbnails (quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest-2008_0907bike0005.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I have Bubba's and love 'em. Evidently I have an older version of everything.

Here's a link to the hidden cost. You need the detachable sideplates for the back rest in addition to the total detachable hardware kit.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

These pic's of mine may not be available anymore (have no idea). Mine stick out exactly 1". The saddlebags (with Bubba's) hand screw into the two forward most bracket holes.

Attachment 6702
(click to enlarge

Attachment 6703
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by CrawdadAZ; 10-03-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

^Your struts looks different from mine. That middle notch out in your sidplates is not on mine, did you have to notch out yourself? Also, I don;t believe I have a hole in that spot either. If so, I must have never noticed it.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Originally Posted by dusty2221
^Your struts looks different from mine. That middle notch out in your sidplates is not on mine, did you have to notch out yourself? Also, I don;t believe I have a hole in that spot either. If so, I must have never noticed it.
That's what Harley built and sold back when my Heritage was new (2002). Maybe they only make the 2 notch stuff now?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Intresting, another kink in trying to figure the right brackets out...lol

Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Strick
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Bubbas appear shorter than what the easy brackets would yield. I was also told that the attachments on my bike must be a 'late model 2002' because they mirror the 2003 attachments and not the 2002 model.

Why does this have to have options? Can't it just be - buy a kit and bolt it on?

Thanks guys!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Boss Bags are detachable and locking and work with the HD detachable backrest. They also have a option of a decorative chrome bullet style nipple covers for when you have bags off.

Last edited by acchd; 09-30-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (quick) Detachable rear bags & backrest