Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
fattdog
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration noise

Hey everyone, I have a 2008 heritage softail classic with about 2750 miles. I am experiencing a vibration noise coming from I belive to be the fuel tank. I have checked all the fasteners and they are tight. The bike has been to the stealership 2 times and they cannot find anything wrong or at least that's the story. I tend to not trust what the stealer ship says...IMHO it is quite possible they know what is up but, will not admit anything is wrong. This noise comes on as revs increase. Has anyone experienced this on their bike?. I would of course like to find the source of the noise and correct it...it is driving me crazy.
Thanks,
Fattdog

Last edited by fattdog; 09-29-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added content
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Check EVERYTHING. Guards, heat shields, I mean everything. You may think it's coming from the tank but it could be elsewhere. I had a rattle that was driving me crazy and it turned out to be the visor snaps on my helmet. If it's rpm related, does it do it when you rev it up in nuetral? Check your rubber grommet on the kick stand. If it's missing it'll rattle too. good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a rattle comming from the front. Turned out to be a nacelle on the on the fork. It's hollow and will make a noise when the bike vibrates.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Headlight trim ring was vibrating on my 99. Took awhile to find it but what a relief when the screwdriver fixed the problem. Check all nuts, bolts and screws.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My chrome cap cover for the steering on the upper triple tree was loose....drove me nuts for weeks....
I would suggest you "wipe the bike down"...touching everything...checking and re-checking for loose stuff.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a squeal or chirping sound coming from the front when i hit a bump or lug the motor and it was still cold. Dealer has 5 people trying to find the noise. you could also slam the stearing to one side and hear it. First they thought it was the bushings on the rear shocks but they later found it was the motor mount bolt was loose. It is so nice not to have that noise.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need louder pipes.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your exhaust. Make sure everything is snug and nothing touching the frame. There's a lot more chance of it being the exhaust, if you had changed it from stock.
Tom

Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why i had it fixed, the squeak was louder than the pipes

Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Niddite
Cruiser
Talking

Originally Posted by mjmangus
Check EVERYTHING. Guards, heat shields, I mean everything. You may think it's coming from the tank but it could be elsewhere. I had a rattle that was driving me crazy and it turned out to be the visor snaps on my helmet. If it's rpm related, does it do it when you rev it up in nuetral? Check your rubber grommet on the kick stand. If it's missing it'll rattle too. good luck
Similar experience here...I have to chuckle at myself...thought I had a major vibration problem on my hands rolling down the road one day, but I figured it out to be the loose end of my chin strap flapping against my helmet! I tucked it back under and no more worries! Check everything, and I mean everything! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Vibration noise