Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega insurance quote and insurance horror stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
bondyhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega insurance quote and insurance horror stories

Being English, I am immune to being conned by the British government. Everything at the moment seems expensive and when it comes to insurance over here, you need to re-mortgage your left nut!

Anyway, with the bike coming I've needed to sort out the insurance and the best way to do that are insurance comparison websites. I'm sure you have that in 'the land of the free', but just incase you're not familiar with the process you enter all your details once and a whole heap of prices are spat back at you. You pick the best one, (normally the cheapest) and then crack open a beer confident that you've found the deal of the century!

I did just this and came out with about 15 prices. It's always funny because you do get some good deals, but also some shocking ones. In dollars I paid about $1600 for 12 months. Believe it or not that's a pretty good price! But I had one quotation for a staggering $9000!!! What in the name of all that's holy happened there?

I decided not to take the b******s up on that offer but it got me wondering, has anybody else had a stupid quote on a Softail? Does insurance work in the states the same as it does here, and do all the companies try and rip you off by not paying out when they need to?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about £340 a yr for me , how old are you ?16 !!! they are crazy prices

Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Yeah, me too. Certainly under £350. You must be one of those dodgy geezers me mum's warned me about!!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM
07 J/E FatBoy
Advanced

I'm in Canada and have 20+ yrs of riding experience and I pay just over 1000 @ year for my 07 Fatboy (with a replacement value of $30,000... they will cover all my upgrades at purchase value).

For my wife's 08 Deluxe, we pay close to $1600 @ year as she is a new rider, but next year will be her 3rd year and her cost will also go down to the just over $1000 @ year (again a replacement value of $30K).

Anyway, hope this helps you a bit in at least understanding the cost here in Canada... good luck and who cares what the cost is, it's worth it when you are riding... (within reason of course)

BTW, we have full insurance, including 'Fire, theft and vandalism', just these 3 are costing just over 1/2 of the total costs above)

Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
bondyhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
about £340 a yr for me , how old are you ?16 !!! they are crazy prices
25 years old, only one years no claims and... ahem... 7 points. I've only been riding for a few years so it's what I expected.

Reverend, me dodgy... never!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in the states insurance rates vary quite a bit, between companies. That is why people should get a quote from several companies every couple of years. They figure your rates by age, driving record, zip code, credit record and who knows what else.
For my 2005 SE Fat Boy, I pay $430 a year, which includes an additional $5,000 for additional accessories, for Progressive Insurance.
I could theoretically move a block or two away to a different zip code and my rates might go up or down quite a bit, even though it would be the same basic area.
Tom

Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Rebsix
Cruiser

$398.00 a year for my '96 Springer....replacement and $3000 for accessories through Progressive, it also includes fire and theft. I'm 42, no points, no accidents, no record. I had quotes up to $500.

Funny thing is, a brand new 23 year old rider can get a 10% discount if he takes a training course, but me, I've been training for 18+ years and I get no discount.
This same 23 year old (friend of mine) wants a Yamaha R6 and after his 10% he will still pay $3200 a year.

Horror Story:

As far as them paying, when I wrecked my 1100 Virago way back when, the local Yamaha dealer told the insurance company it was only worth $1300. I had blue books from 10 other places between $3000 and $4000, but they went with him and totaled it. I still owed $2800+ on it.

After a few weeks the claims people called me and asked to bring in my title so they could finish the paper work and cut me a check.
I showed up and she asked me to sign the title over. I asked what if I want to keep this bike. She told me it's impossible because the salvage yard already picked it up.
I grabbed my title and calmly explained that she needs to call the Police because it is now a stolen motorcycle. The look on her face was worth every hassle and broken bone I went through, I think she actually pooped herself.

Long story longer, it turns out they hadn't arrived yet and were still a couple hours out. I left the claims office, with my title, and drove to the Yamaha dealer. A long haired burnout mechanic who apparently hated his boss (the $1300 man) listened to my story and got a ramp and some straps and loaded my bike in my truck.

I called my insurance rep and told him I had it and he needs to figure something out. The next day he stops by my house and told me the bike has been paid off, the salvage yard is paid and the bike is mine free and clear, he looked at the bike in my spare bedroom, shook his head and left.

The next Spring, I rode it up there and had him re-instate my policy.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

350 a year in Maryland with State Farm, in 2005 I wrecked my 05 sportster, $3800 in damage, the local Dealer worked w/ ins. company and made it brand new, even replaced all the after market parts.
The U.S. sounds like we get pretty good deals on ins. compared to most other countries.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

What you can screw outta the customer is yours to keep.......

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story Rebsix. Similar story...long ago I had water damage to a Triumph TR3A auto. Insurance totaled it, gave me a check, I kept it for salvage value. Relatively minor clean up, wheel bearings, etc. and I had it on the road. Eventually traded it in on a new car. Moral: Don't let the insurance scum take your ride when you know it can be easily fixed.