Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lubing steering head bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lubing steering head bearings??

I decided to lube my bearings. I have the chrome cup trim that goes on the bottom of the neck so I can't see when the grease starts to come out from the bottom bearing.
Just wondering for you guys that do your on lubing, do you see any grease come out at the top bearing or is it just the bottom end, due to gravity? I have put in a little over 1/2 a tube. My plan was after putting in the 1/2 tube to keep adding a few squeezes of grease after every ride until I saw some grease oozing out somewhere. It would be a PITA to remove the chrome piece on the bottom since it has a line attached to it, but I am thinking I might be slowly filling the chrome trim cup up from the excess grease, if it is oozing out.
Tom

Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done it both ways, the first time jsut coming out the bottom, the second coming out the top. When it came out of the top and the bike got hot a lot of grease melted and dripped onto my rocker box covers. 1/2 a tube sounds like you put more than enough. That reminds me, I gotta go lube mine again. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
anubisss
Banned

I forgot to mention that I always wipe up the excess that comes out of the top and bottom as it will drip everywhere when hot. That might tough for you with that cover though. Maybe the cover will keep it all in there...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I read where if you don't put enough grease in to see it ooze out, that you haven't put enough in.
You can see the chrome trim piece in the attached picture. It looks like a cup.
Maybe that is it's function to catch grease so it wont spray on to the bike.
That is my front brake line that is attached to the bottom of it, so I am not too excited about taking it apart just to see if I got enough grease in.
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Lubing steering head bearings??-chrome-steering-neck-bottom.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
anubisss
Banned

If you put a half tube I'm sure youa re fine. It does look like a pain to take that off. I ahve been using th esmae tube and this is the third time I have lubed them and there is still plenty more in the tube.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I figure if I don't get enough grease in to allow it to build up and force it up into the top bearing that I just wasted my time putting in the 1/2 tube so far. I assume just by gravity and hot days that the grease will flow some into the lower bearing, but I would have to turn the bike upside down in order to get grease to go in the direction of the upper bearing.
I have been trying my best to keep the bike right side up since I bought it.
Tom

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, does your bike have a grease fitting?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 AM
BillyFB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read where you have to restrict the grease from coming out the bottom to force it out the top. The post I read said to wrap a string around the washer on the bottom. I used the handle of the plastic sack from the store where I bought the tube of grease.
If the tube of grease you're talking about is the regular one. Ten or twelve inches long and you used half a tube. That's a chit load of grease. It should be showing up some where.
Inside of the handle bars? J/K

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I think I'll call it good for now. It was definitely empty. It seems like a pretty Mickey Mouse way of getting grease to the bearings. I would guess most bikes never do get enough grease in the neck to force enough up to the upper bearing.
Tom

Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I know mine has a grease fitting which I just pump up until it starts oozing, then wipe off and ride!

Quick Reply: Lubing steering head bearings??