Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion on exhaust/fuel management needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
fattdog
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on exhaust/fuel management needed

I am in the process of trying to decide what pipe and fuel management I am going to use for my 08' heritage softail classic. I am leaning toward the Cobra Power pro HP 2 into 1 for the exhaust.The price is very good thru Dennis Kerk ( $439.99) and the sound is good ( only heard it on the website if that really tells you anything) As far as fuel management, I was thing about the cobra Fi2000. Does anyone have experience with this?. Two HD stealers said the race tuner was the only way to go ( of course ) one of them even said that anything other than the race tuner could cause the ECM to go out. I am also thinking about the vance and Hines fuelpak. another possibility for exhaust is the V&H propipe BP. Any thoughts or experinces would be appreciated

Thanks,
Fattdog

Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fattdog
I am in the process of trying to decide what pipe and fuel management I am going to use for my 08' heritage softail classic. I am leaning toward the Cobra Power pro HP 2 into 1 for the exhaust.The price is very good thru Dennis Kerk ( $439.99) and the sound is good ( only heard it on the website if that really tells you anything) As far as fuel management, I was thing about the cobra Fi2000. Does anyone have experience with this?. Two HD stealers said the race tuner was the only way to go ( of course ) one of them even said that anything other than the race tuner could cause the ECM to go out. I am also thinking about the vance and Hines fuelpak. another possibility for exhaust is the V&H propipe BP. Any thoughts or experinces would be appreciated

Thanks,
Fattdog
A good 2 into 1 exhaust is an excellent choice. I have a V&H's unit and really like them. I only install Power Commander III units in bikes. I like the ease of the install and wide range of adjustments.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
weskey4
Intermediate
Cool Vance and Hines and the Power Commander

Find some Vance and Hines two into one pipes and add the power commander III...then to dial it all in, have your bike dyno tuned as soon as you can afford it. The PCIII gets you close in most cases. Shop for maps for your bike at www.dynojet.com first, then find the pipes you like...IMO

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
09classic
Intermediate

i'm goin with true duals with fish tails, big sucker, and TFI electric jet kit...will have it all installed in a couple of weeks...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might check out D&D Fat Cats, 2 into 1, with the quiet baffle. it is not that much quieter then the normal baffle, just a lower/deeper sound. The number one thing I would do is buy an exhaust where I had a choice of baffles. That way all you have to do is change baffles if the baffles you have are too quiet or too loud for your taste.
Tom

Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by fattdog

Thanks,
Fattdog
2:1 pipes ive good bottom end torque/hp but tend to lose power in the higher rpms. Some prefer this for street, but there are some good 2:1 pipes that have good overall volumetric efficiency with a decent tuned design like Bassani's 2:1 pipe and RB racings pipe as well. I have no experience with the pipe your talking about but remember, 99 out of 100 pipes on the market for a Harley will perform poorly overall. Anything out there will for the most part gain a few ponies over stock but that says nothing at all considering how constricting the EPA approved pipes are.

For the ECM part, I'll make it simple, Daytona Twin tec(which mfg's the TFCI) is the best bet. http://www.daytona-twintec.com Their products are by far the best made on the market, and setup is easy and straightforward. Chris Schroeder one of the owners/engineer knows his Fuel injection theory and he knows HARLEY's period. Its a serious quality product thats not just another PCIII or similiar cheap fuel adder on the market using generic canned maps. If you want to know more, just ask specific questions if performance and reliability are your first 2 priorities.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know anything about the Cobra system. But the PCIII with whatever pipe and intake you want would be a hard combination to beat.
If your looking for something a bit better than an add-on fuel managment system I would suggest you at least take a look at the Thundermax w/Autotune. It completely replaces the stock ECM and with the Autotune module installed will constantly fine tune itself so you never really need a Dyno.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Go here and poke around. Lots of good info. Good luck.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...e_upgrades.htm

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 AM
tpolstc
Cruiser

Also see who actually Dyno tunes the module you go with,I found out that here in Connecticut there are alot of Dyno machines but only 5 that will tune the PCIII I purchased,,I also talk to HDF member Doc1, he sells the TTS Mastertune mod..He is suppose to be comming to CT to a harley dealer to teach them how to actually Dyno Tune bikes period!!I think I'm gonna purchase the TTS tunner and when he get's here see if I can get him to tune my bike with that tunner and take off the PCIII..jmo..

Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by tpolstc
Also see who actually Dyno tunes the module you go with,I found out that here in Connecticut there are alot of Dyno machines but only 5 that will tune the PCIII I purchased,,I also talk to HDF member Doc1, he sells the TTS Mastertune mod..He is suppose to be comming to CT to a harley dealer to teach them how to actually Dyno Tune bikes period!!I think I'm gonna purchase the TTS tunner and when he get's here see if I can get him to tune my bike with that tunner and take off the PCIII..jmo..

Or better yet, instead of wasting time paying for dyno time to get a canned map to work decently, you can just purchase a DTT TFCI which self tunes on the fly. It uses wideband 02 sensors and constantly fine tunes the afr for optimal riding conditions. Dynos for "tuning" are becoming obsolete in many ways. And most dynos are only as good as the people who operate em, and there arent very many good "dyno tuners" out there.

For those who think about wasting hundreds of dollars on dyno tuning, you should really think about buying a WEGO afr meter and literally tune your bike yourself. A WEGO will tell you in REAL TIME with a REAL LOAD on your bike through all the gears at all throttle positions what your AFR is. With this info dialing in your carb'd or FI bike can be a snap without needing any worthless dyno time.

Quick Reply: opinion on exhaust/fuel management needed