Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST Front Fork Tubes Assembly Installation

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FXST Front Fork Tubes Assembly Installation

Hi all,
I bought this kit that should give me 2" above stock on my front fork.

Also here is another picture of the kit

The question is, I read threads here about how to disassemble and install new tubes and put a PVC as a spacer, etc, it seems this kit comes complete to me, does this mean the installation should be a lot easier ?, maybe I can do it myself, as in 1 - drain oil, 2 - remove top forks, 3- install new ones , 4 - add oil.
How hard is '2' and '3' ? other than a lift and the wrenches, do I need anything else ?

Best Regards

A.K.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WHen doing it I found using the old seal to install the new seal works well, but you may also need a pipe to give it that extra push. when you go to take the top nut out loosen the bottom and top tree bolts and let the fork slide down just alittle and then tighten the top bolt to hold it in place, the reason is so when you take the top nut loose to remove the coil the bolt is caught in the tree versus flying off somewhere or hittinh you in the head. when you go the install it all just put it together the same way it came out. take a pic or nuy a manual from harley, the manual will show you the diagram for how it should look going in. you can do it yourself if you have some mechanical ability. its easier to have someone helping you also.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Man,
Thanks for the Info,

I only have one top Nut on top of the tree ? there is no bottom not ? is there ?.

Also, does this mean I keep the wheel to the lowers, so I don't have to worry about that ?.. I am trying to make things easier.

I thought if I but the bike on the lift, the lowers will slide but will not come out, how do I take the lowers out totally ?, I have the complete Upper assembly ready to go in, I think this is the tricky part for me,

I do have the service manual, but it is unclear on how it comes out.

Regards

A.K.