Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 AM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tire

now i know why they call them stealers. needed a new tire on the rear. went to the dealer and got another dunlop and figured while it is off put new brake pads on. well got the bill and it was $479 dollars i almost s%^t my self. next time i will wrestle the da%n thing on myself. guess that is what i get for being lazy.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Go see Seth at Big Lous next time, Had the 200 Avon Cobra and new pads on rear $279 out the door on friday. Between them and Jack over at Dayton on 301 Blvd, I seldom ever feel the need to go to Our Local Dealer whom I will not name here. When I do feel the need to go to a dealer I go to Jims over in St. Pete. Good excuse to ride across the skyway, not to mention the night and day difference between the two places. Ride safe.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thundergod
now i know why they call them stealers. needed a new tire on the rear. went to the dealer and got another dunlop and figured while it is off put new brake pads on. well got the bill and it was $479 dollars i almost s%^t my self. next time i will wrestle the da%n thing on myself. guess that is what i get for being lazy.
Just did a 200mm change on the fxstc. Got a deal of $207 CDN and 15 to r&r the rubber and install DynaBeads. I took the wheel off at home and took it in, picked it up after work. All this from a place that sells scooters of all things. Actually got all my accessories there, V&H BSS, pegs, Amsoils, at a much better price than a stealer. For $315 tax included I came home with a new tire, one qt 75/140, 4 qts 20/50, a K&N filter service kit. I think I did ok.
Ron

Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How dare a business charge for a service? How dare they have to pay their mechanics, parts people, and boutique people a salary not even mentioning extraneous business expenses such as insurance, health care, etc.? How dare they make a profit on the transaction? How dare they perform the job after they wrote it up and you authorized the repair without reading the estimated cost? "Guess that is what i get for being lazy." Yep.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robzuc97
How dare a business charge for a service? How dare they have to pay their mechanics, parts people, and boutique people a salary not even mentioning extraneous business expenses such as insurance, health care, etc.? How dare they make a profit on the transaction? How dare they perform the job after they wrote it up and you authorized the repair without reading the estimated cost? "Guess that is what i get for being lazy." Yep.
Greetings,

So my question to you is this: Between the 4 different HD stealers in a 30 mile radius there's as much as $100 difference in the cost of those services using the same parts. Why is that? I'm all for making a profit, but let's have some uniformity among dealers in the same area.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by robzuc97
I help run 6 Auto dealerships for many years... here's what I've learned...

You can clip a sheep's wool every year... you can only skin 'em once!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, stealer/dealers are not created equal...you need to shop around...just had a new 200 Dunlop put on my Train at the dealer where I bought the bike...$152 for the tire and $44 labor...did the pads myself in about 1/2 hour...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoops, duplicate post...delete, delete...

Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
robzuc97
Road Master

Rate variation between dealerships: because each dealership independently-owned and/or based on the location (and avg. income of clientelle). "You can clip a sheep's wool every year... you can only skin 'em once!"? Price of tire & brakes, tire mounted & balanced, brakes & fluid adjustment, and axle adjustment? Probably checked BOTH tire pressures, too. Hardly a fleecing! Cheaper to take the rim off yourself and save some labor costs. You take the whole bike in and it's going to cost more in labor. DIY: my bikes never see a dealership (exc. parts). I do it myself.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer charges 180 parts and labor for the 200mm tire. I installed my pads. dealer wanted 40 for half hr labor as the tire was off anyway. that is 40 miles to that dealer. The closer one wants about 300 for the same job and has a reputation of parts falling off the bikes, like the handlebars, clutch, brakes, exhaust, and almost my front tire.

Quick Reply: new tire