Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
cougarmike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flywheel shift

I have an '05 Fatboy anniversery model with 13k mi.. About a week ago the bottom end started clanging and the oil light came on. The stealership said the flywheels had shifted, took out the oil pump and broke the cam plate. I'm waiting for the rest of the tear down to see what else was damaged. They said it was a known problem and my extended warrenty should cover everything. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yours is the first! I've heard of counter-balancers going whacky but Thank God for extended warranty... probably messed up the crankcase, too. I see a brand new engine in your future (which is good; it's like a "do over")!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
custom roadglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you buy your bike new?if so you may want to look at the way you ride.there is a whole story on this in a mid summer issue of hot bike.the crank is made of two parts that are pressed together.when you accell hard/do burn-outs, etc.the crank will flex and become out of round.when the crank is out of round it will wipe put the oil pump,cam plate & most likely the cams and lifters.just fixed a 01 fatboy that did the same thing.you did not say if you have a big bore kit,cams,etc?if so ,they may tell you that you are out of luck on a warranty claim.good luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of these cranks are junk. Havn't even done 1 burnout and I already have .007 runout on the sprocket and it's a wait and see as no warranty until it hits .012 or whatever rediculous figure MoCo pulled out of the air. If you have to drive these things like old ladies what good are they?
Ron

Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 AM
custom roadglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to have to go that far into motor i would ask dealer if you can pay diff and put a 103 crank and a screaming eagle billet cam plate in it.they are alot better parts.plus it will run like a bat out of hell.you can still run them hard even stock as long as the bike is rolling.it is the hard accel from a dead stop that will get you.i would like to know how many miles on a rear tire bad crank bikes get?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM
cougarmike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't do burn outs (well, maybe a couple of times.) The bike is 95" from the factory with stock cams and a SE breather kit. The stealership said they won't put in SE cams etc. on a warrenty repair. There were no symtoms intill it blew. Today I should find out about any other damage this caused. I'll let you know