Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sound/Performance for Carb 01 FXST ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Best Sound/Performance for Carb 01 FXST ?

Hi all,
I have SE II slipons on my bike, but I do not like the sound AT ALL ? I had Samson's on my older bike and they sounded much better.

Now I do not want to go chasing sound and forget about backpressure and performance.

Which pipes you guys prefer that gave you the best sound and performance ? I have only Stage 1 (SE air cleaner , no engine mods).

Regards

A.K.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Rush slip ons on my '05 Standard and like them a lot. Wife has them on her '07 Deluxe as well and the also sound great.

I'm carb'd and have only changed to a 48 slow jet, drilled the plug and adjusted the air to 1-1/2 to 2 turns out and the bike is spot on.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can have the exact same exahust as the next bike but what will really make it sound nice is a nice cam and headwork.

A Carb really wont make a difference in the "sound"

I have received some compliments on my RB LSR with cam and headwork. I was running a Thunder header with the same engine work and the RB sounds better and the bike performs better.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 PM
joshh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put on python staggered duals. they look like staggered duals but they have a hidden crossover for performance. sound and perform awesome. they come w/ standard & quiet baffles available but i like to be loud so i run them w/out. they are good quality and made in usa. i was told they are made by v&h but i couldn't find them on their website. i am happy with them.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
tjmoening
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXST Pipes

Originally Posted by klf33
Hi all,
I have SE II slipons on my bike, but I do not like the sound AT ALL ? I had Samson's on my older bike and they sounded much better.

Now I do not want to go chasing sound and forget about backpressure and performance.

Which pipes you guys prefer that gave you the best sound and performance ? I have only Stage 1 (SE air cleaner , no engine mods).

Regards

A.K.
I have an 05 FXST, totally stock motor and carb. I have Hooker staggered duals, with no baffles on and they sound and look awesome. The carb was jetted when the pipes were put on but nothing else was done. I have had several people ask me if I have had cam and/or other motor work done because the motor labors when idling, but I think its just the jetting and the tuning of the pipes which make it have this "expensive" sound. These Hookers have a nice deep tone but will crack your ears when you get on it! Just my 2 cents!!!