Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting boss bags on a fatboy

Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
03harleyrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting boss bags on a fatboy

i have a question or need advice on mounting boss bags on my fatboy. i didnt like the large bracket for the #42 bags the way it set them off the fender so i drilled through the back of them and just used my detachable hardware to mount them straight to the fender strut only prob is i took them off today and saw where they were hitting my axle nuts and damaging the bottom of them any advice would be appreciated thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey bud, first thing... as a memory item from now on... is to remember that they built and tested the part. There was probably a reason the brackets were so big.

You have two choices:

1. make the bike a hard tail so it doesn't move up and down to touch the bags, or

2. space the bags back out.

If you choose version 2, I would go with either of these choices:

2a. put it back the way the mounting bracket folks say it is supposed to be, or..

2b. measure how much space you need to add, buy some longer chrome button head bolts from Ace Hardware, get some appropriae length chrome spacers from HD and space your bags out the needed amount.

Know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the fact is it is rubbing because they are too close. You have to change that to fix it.