Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts
Default 6 Speed

Has anyone put a 6 speed in their 06 or prior Softail? I'm considering the Screamin Eagle gearset. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I put a SE 6 speed in my '03 Heritage, it had 2000 miles on it then. It now has close to 65K miles on it. It has performed flawlessly since the installation. It is an overdrive transmission, not a direct drive like the new bikes. The sixth gear is perfect for highway cruising, not much good for under 65 mph. The rpm drop in sixth gear is great for long trips. It keeps the engine in a smoother rpm range and i picked up some gas mileage. For me, it was a great investment.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,147 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Cool. I am seriously thinking about having it done to my 95 Heritage Softail. I am leaning towards the Screaming Eagle, but have also been thinking about the Baker DD6.

My stock setup has rpm's kind of high when I'm on the interstate doing 70 mph. As a result, after a long trip, my hands feel tingly and like I have spiderwebs on them.

I also find that I sometimes have a really hard time finding neutral. I figure, instead of just getting the tranny looked at and maybe some sort of adjustments made, maybe going with a six speed would be worth it for the added benefit of lowering rpm's and thus reducing vibration on the interstate. I am not concerned about fuel economy at all, as my only other vehicle is a Jeep riding on 35" tires with 5.13 gears in the differentials LOL.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I got the SE 6-speed gear set installed a year ago in my '03 NT...
best money I ever spent... +1 on what Bowtieman31 said.
Any Harley I buy from now on will have to have a trany similar
to the SE 6 or I'll have to install one.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2, have one as well on my 03' NT. Very well built. All straight cut gears(for maximum power transfer efficiency), with a REAL OVERDRIVE. I feel sorry for the HD owners stuck with the new cheap "cruisedrive" 6 speed that comes stock with their bikes...........

Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
afatheadtoo
Novice

You might consider a Baker DD6

Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is this change worth approx?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default good question

Originally Posted by Toolguy
What is this change worth approx?
I was gonna ask the same, I have an 05 deluxe that I ride 50 miles to work and that OD may save some fuel too.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

WHat is the change "worth"? Are you guys talking in MPG? Well depending on if you do the gearset($1999 I believe) or the full cased SE tranny ($2700?)and the miliage you do, it may or may not be worth it. The OD on the highway may add 2-3 miles per gallon tops to your fuel economy. I did it because I do alot of highway miles and the reduced rpm's to me = less overall vibration and sound levels. Its also a rock solid bullitproof design that can't be beat(that piece of mind is also beneficial to me with a built engine). That to me was worth it. The few bucks I may or may not save per week in gas is a bonus I honestly probably dont notice.........

Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't care about gas mileage. I wanted to know how much the new tranny would cost to purchase and have installed. SuperAhcmed: which tranny did you install? Is it the HD?

Quick Reply: 6 Speed