Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Parts Advice 05 FXST

Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
kachingchingpow
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Parts Advice 05 FXST

Picking up a used 05 on Tues. The stealer is throwing in $500 in monopoly money to use at the parts counter. Since the reasoning behind dumping the sporty and getting this bike was for more comfort for the passenger on long rides (at least that's what the wife thinks), I'd like to get my hands around what parts I'll need to make that happen.

Don't get me wrong, the solo seat will be on there 85% of the time. For that reason, I'd like to make sure that I have an easily exchangeable system. It's currently outfitted with a Danny Gray Buttcrack Solo. I'd like to be able to swap that out to a comfortable 2-up with reasonably tall sissy bar, and a bobbed luggage rack on the back. Also would like to have the ability to park some leather bags on it, so I guess I'll need the support frames.

For any of you out there that have a similiar setup, can you run down a list of what I'll need to get this working? Parts have to be from the Motor Co., since I'm using a shop credit. Part numbers would be a big plus if you got'm.

Here's a list of the stuff I can think of:

- 2-up Seat (recommendations? I really like the old skewl pillow look of the FXSTC's)
- Quick-detach side plates (isn't there some mounting studs that I need too?)
- Sissy bar, (is the bobbed luggage rack a separate part?)
- Sissy bar pad
- Bag struts (are there special wider mounting studs when using both side plates and struts?)

How's my budget looking?

Bike is pictured for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Need Parts Advice 05 FXST-newride_2.jpg  
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM
cpt.crunch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 fxst. When I bought mine the stealer gave me a copy of the parts catalog. Since mine was stock I guess he figured I'd be spending alot of my hard earned cash on parts... Seems he was right. Anyway my point is usually these catalogs sell for 30 or 40 bucks, but a good parts person at the dealership will recognize that you can go elsewhere to buy your parts and spend your " dealer dollars" on something else. Call your salesman /woman and ask for a copy. On my bile I run a sundowner stitched seat most of the time and big cushy seat I got off ebay for 10 bucks when the "misses" rides. As far as the sissybar, you need the detachable side plates, the bar itself, and the mounting kit. I don't know the part numbers right now a friend has my catalog. sorry
The seat can run $200-$500, the sissy bar is probably $200. The bags , I have no idea. I use a Kuryakyn grand tour bag that has a back support in it. It is awesome when I ride solo. Also provides limited storage.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

First thing I would suggest would be to get a copy of the HD Accessories catalog. Then you'll have a better idea what part's are avalable, with their part numbers and prices.
There are any number of different sissy bars that will fit and even a couple of different versions of the Bobtail rack. But unless I'm mistaken the Bobtail racks mount to the tail light assembly and fender as a seperate part.
There are other racks that attach to the sissy bar. So with quick detachable mountings it will come off with the rack, and keep the rear of the bike cleaner looiking for solo riding.
Its all going to be up to you to pick out what looks nice to you and fits your needs best.
Good Luck, ride safe