Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones Frone End

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossbones Frone End

Anyone heard anything about a front end issue with the Xbones? Co worker has one and basically when the brakes are applied and the front suspension compresses....it doesn't come back up! Our local dealer had a new one on the floor....did the same thing. HD is giving him the run around....not cooperating, which surprises me. My few warranty issues were dealt with like a champ.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM
SAS
Tourer

I have not heard of that issue.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Hush
Novice

thats a new one. ive been riding mine hard. i dont have that issue.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem with mine

Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Reverend
Tourer

Somethings binding or incorrectly set up. It's only a set of sliding bushes after all. Springs absorb the big bumps & keep things tight, shock absorber stops spring going boing boing for ages.

For front suspension, they don't come much simpler!!

I'd be suspicious of the 'ol dealer routine, if I were you..

Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
jto667
Tourer

Fortunately its not my problem, but I feel for the guy! Its been suggested to him to buy a service manual, loosen the front end, and re torque it, see if that does anything. I got a wide glide, so I'm not sure what all is involved in the springers.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jto667
Its been suggested to him to buy a service manual, loosen the front end, and re torque it
Great advice.... My guess is someone at the Dealership doesn't know what they are doing...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 06 Springer Classic and an 09 Cross bones. I am curious as to how many miles he has on the bike. Though all the parts have the same part numbers, I am thinking that HD may have went with different Vendors on the springs. The 06 springs are not as tight, giving a softer, mushier ride. The Cross Bones has really stiff Springs. I only have 400 miles on the Cross Bones, but it is starting to get smoother.

I am a wrench at a dealership. At first my cross bones had little suspension, not compressing or rebounding. I tore it down, needed to ream the brake link. The springs were binding, so I reinstalled them. I now have a suspension, and it is getting softer as it breaks in.

Even with the 05 up springers, I have noticed that when you hit the brake on some, it does not immediately come right back up, but it eventually does. With some miles, it comes up faster. s long as you see the spring bridge moving up and down when you hit a large bump you re good to go, it will soften up.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
HaloFan
Advanced

I haven't experienced the problem either. I have 1400 miles and no issues with the front suspension. I agree w/ Crazy about the break in. It was much stiffer in the beginning but seems to have gotten smoother (or I've gotten used to it's ride). The first few rides to work on a rolling stretch of pavement my front end seemed like it was still oscillating even after getting over that rough stretch of pavement. Now I don't even really notice the wavy asphalt.
The other point about the Springer is the initial 500 mile suggested service for the front end. Did your friend do that service yet? I thought it was a ploy to separate me from more $ but I think there is merit to that service from what other members have mentioned in the past.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by HaloFan
I haven't experienced the problem either. I have 1400 miles and no issues with the front suspension. I agree w/ Crazy about the break in. It was much stiffer in the beginning but seems to have gotten smoother (or I've gotten used to it's ride). The first few rides to work on a rolling stretch of pavement my front end seemed like it was still oscillating even after getting over that rough stretch of pavement. Now I don't even really notice the wavy asphalt.
The other point about the Springer is the initial 500 mile suggested service for the front end. Did your friend do that service yet? I thought it was a ploy to separate me from more $ but I think there is merit to that service from what other members have mentioned in the past.

I was going to ask the same question anout the initial service. I would also suggest to try a different dealer if he can.
It sounds like the mechanic at his dealer may not know how to setup the springer front end.

Quick Reply: Crossbones Frone End