Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Damn exhaust sound

Hey All,

Have a 2008 Night Train with RUSH slip ons. Anyway, I have this annoying sound coming from the front exhaust, sounds like a header leak on a car when you are going down the road. This isn't the first Harley I have had this has happened on. Yes the studs are torqued right on and it is sounds terrible.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It might be that in installing the slip on's you may have twisted the header pipe a little and caused a leak. I would suggest you get a pair of new gaskets and put them in to see if that cures the problem.

When I installed my BR pipes I found out something I was unaware of. There are two different gaskets avalable (at least at the dealer I got mine from). There is a tapered one for the stock pipes and a 'square' version that's supposed to be used for aftermarket pipes. I would see if your local dealer has the square ones and install them in place of the tapered stockers. Their slightly larger size should be able to take up any misalignment the Rush slip on's may be causing,

Just be aware that getting the old ones out can be a minor pain in the butt. They are made of something like packed steel wool and don't want to come out in one solid piece. It generally takes a bit of 'persuasion' from a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers to get it all out.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had rush slipons on my Train and I tink I know what you are saying. What happens is that you only hear the front muffler, for me I didn't like it so I went for pipes. V&H shortshots and you hear both cyls and the sound is awesome

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
firecwp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember the sound prior to the install? Does the bike have low miles? I heard a similar sound up front on my 07 heritage. I had it looked at by the Harley mechanic and was told that it wasn't "broken in" yet. He said that the chain has to make its groove, and the sound will go away. Sounded like B.S. to me. He started his bike and the same sound was present. Not sure on the answer...still waiting for my chain to make "its groove". Now at 1400 miles.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Citor,

I know the gaskets you are talking about and that sounds plausible for sure. The sound, seems to sound like it is coming out of the head itself up near the pipe, but that is hard to tell.

For the guy with the shortshots, yea I agree and will probably go that route real soon.

I have about 3800 miles on my new train and I think the mechanic is full of ****. These motors are almost ready to rock and roll from the factory, just like new car engines.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
TexFordD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firecwp...the groove will take another 5K to take place. It actually had me in the primary checking the adjuster for binding. At 10K alls well. Besides new sounds will appear to drive you nuts.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as short-shots go... I don't really like mine... to me you just don't get that good ole harley rumble... they are just loud....

I should of known as I have a set on my Sportster too..

But they were cheap after all... well in comparison I guess... ;-)

Charlie D.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
maddawgchevy
Intermediate

I've got the same sound on my 06 Fatboy . I've got V&H Big shots and about 7,000 miles on it. When I first heard the noise I thought it was the exhaust gaskets and changed them. The noise stopped for about 2 rides around town and came back. I rode my brothers 05 Deuce and he has the same sound. Now I just live with it because there seems to be no harm to the bike. Hoopefully it will go away soon.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Check to see if the muffler to header pipe seal was done properly. when installed at 1k stage 1 upgrade the wrench didnt get the clamps on right and I ended up with air leaks on 6 of the 8 slots in the joint and because he had the clamps to far foward and 1/2 of the clamp was of the front of the muffler it bowed the muffler right behind the clamp and make it even worse....
You should be able to look into the muffler through the baffle and see if there is any daylight at those slots...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
hksb
Cruiser

Maybe the air intake might have caused this due to more flow?