Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un-Confuse Me, Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
GadeTerbob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Un-Confuse Me, Please

Keep in mind that when I last rode, the bike had a carburetor, the secondary drive belt and rubber mounted engine was a recent innovation. Last big function I attend was the Sturgis 50th. OK?

I originally became interested in the Cross Bones, but since I'm an old coot kind of guy, I'm thinking seriously of a Heritage Classic Springer. I intend to make it look like a 1948 Pan. My days of "iron butting" it from Cheyenne, WY to New Orleans, LA non stop are way, WAY over.

Now some ads refer to that as a FLSTSC while others add a slash I. Does the "I" mean that it is injected, which would imply that without the I has a carb?

Is a 2005 FLSTSC equipped with an ecm?

Was 2005 the last year the motor company made the FLSTSC?

Is a stage 1 kit the same for FLT (or other) as it is for the FLSTSC?

I'm sure that as the search continues, I'll get confused again, but thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't answer all the questions cause I simply don't know but what I do know is this:

the /I means injected. If it's not there, you should still double check with the seller that it is indeed fuel injected. '07 models and on do not use the /I but they are all injected. I would veer toward FI if I were you....Just my .02.

I believe HD made the Springer through '06.

Stage 1 can be a little deceiving. Some Stage 1 kits include bigger bore cylinders and a cam....others refer to a Stage 1 as Rejetting carb or remapping FI, A/C, and high flow exhaust...Generally, all the Softails are the same for doing Stage 1....Its the same engine in a differently configured bike...Hope this sort of helps...

Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
GadeTerbob
6th Gear

Thanks, WarrierHD. Sigh Things used to be so simple. Now, it's like you have to be able to launch the space shuttle.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still just twist the throttle as always

Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GadeTerbob, I feel your pain. Just avoid the fuel injected bikes(I'll get crap over this) that need a laptop computer to make adjustments. There are a few good things about the newer bikes, including the ECM (Engine Control Module) that replaces the points and timing mechanism. The final drive belt lasts much longer and requires less maintenance. Lots of these things occurred in the 1980's and 1990's while we were asleep. Find a bike that already has jetting, high flow air cleaner, and pipes already done. Lots of them out there, these basic modifications get a Harley running like the old days. If you buy a bike with overbore, cam, intake modifications, etc., just be sure they were done right (hard to determine). I like a bike that hasn't been wrenched by a backyard mechanic...you know what I mean. Good luck...you will find that Springer.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

Heritage springers were made til 03-04, and then the springer classic was produced till 05-07. Im kinda partial to the classic cause of the blacked out forks, but then again i own one lol.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your at all interested in a X-Bones you can forget about a carb, like Dorkman said all Harley's (including the Sporty's) have been fuel injected since 07. But take heart even though 'fooling' with the ECM and its programing isn't as easy to get the hang of as a carb and points. Once you do its a far better and more precise way to tune a bike.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Stage one does NOT include pistons or engine work, just and air filter and pipes. And you can add an efi tuning device like the SERT, Power commander, or fuelpak.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So just what is a Stage 1?

Originally Posted by anubisss
Stage one does NOT include pistons or engine work, just and air filter and pipes. And you can add an efi tuning device like the SERT, Power commander, or fuelpak.
Here's a description of one of the options for a Stage 1 kit going from 88" to 95"; taken directly from Harley's website. This particular Stage 1 kit includes cylinders, pistons, etc.. Link posted below as well....What's the deal?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Screamin' EagleŽ Big Bore Stage I Kit for EFI Models - 95 ci

Kit features redesigned cast backplate with integral breather and mounting brackets for simplified installation, and an air cleaner element that does not require oiling.This Big Bore Kit lets you increase your Twin-Cam equipped model displacement from 88 cubic inches (1450cc) to 95 cubic inches (1550cc). The kit includes cylinders, pistons, clips, rings, air cleaner, breather hardware and gaskets. A high-performance clutch spring is included to provide the additional clutch capacity required by the extra power. Requires separate purchase of primary cover gasket. This kit is street-legal when used with stock mufflers. (Not all components shown).

Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
GadeTerbob
6th Gear

OK. I'm starting to get the hang of this.....twist that right hand grip towards you and it gets loud and windy. Release it and it gets quieter.

Quick Reply: Un-Confuse Me, Please