Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT and canned maps

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
peektwice
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT and canned maps

So Surdyke has the SERT for cheap right now. Here's the link: https://www.surdyke.com/hd/product.a...d=81486&cat=68

I'm thinking about ordering it, but first I wanted to know what the best maps (short of dyno tuning) are for an 08 FXSTC with either V&H Big Radius or Rinehart Flush Cuts. I'm close to ordering the SERT because the price is too good to pass up, but I can't decide which pipes to get. I like 'em both, but I can't really afford the SERT, pipes, and dyno all at the same time, so I'd like to go with a canned map for now until I can afford the dyno tune later. I like the look and sound of both pipes, but if one won't work with a canned map, I'll get the other.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your just changing the pipes and don't do anything with the intake it doesn't much matter as there is a minimal change in the engine dynamics. Change the intake so the engine can breath IN better and you have to at least load a standard stage 1 map. I had the V&H BR pipes on my 07 for a while (not too long) before I installed the intake and changed the ECM for a Thundermax w/Autotune.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
kylant
Road Captain

i just got a SEST and they "married" it to my bike with a canned map for SE air cleaner and "race" pipes. so far it is great. good performance and NO popping!!! I am happy. eventually I will get a dyno tune done, but for now this is working great.

good luck

Old 10-16-2008, 02:15 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

That's about it, the SERT has to be 'married' to the ECM with the bikes serial number. That SERT can only be used on that bike and if the ECM ever has to be replaced you have to make sure they install the bikes serial number into it or the SERT will not function with it.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
twomad
Intermediate

i had a power commander for my 08 deluxe, dealer installed and bike was towed back to shop twice, had sert installedat 1000mi bike runs way better and no more quit running issues. bike now has 7500mi. screamin eagle heavy breather and rineheart slipons

Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM
peektwice
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
If your just changing the pipes and don't do anything with the intake it doesn't much matter as there is a minimal change in the engine dynamics. Change the intake so the engine can breath IN better and you have to at least load a standard stage 1 map. I had the V&H BR pipes on my 07 for a while (not too long) before I installed the intake and changed the ECM for a Thundermax w/Autotune.
I forgot to mention that I already have the SE Air Cleaner and stage 1 download with the Screaming Eagle Street Performance Mufflers. The muffs just aren't loud enough, and I would have known that if I'd read this forum before getting them. So, in the interest of not making that mistake again, I bring my questions before ye. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

LOVE MY SERT... best out there IMO!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If you already have the stage 1 download you should be fine. Its setup to be fairly generic, and often generous on fuel delivery so nearly any pipe set isn't going to upset the apple cart. But if you plan on any further engine "upgrades" in the future I would start learning about all the ways there are to either work with the ECM (SERT), work around it (Fuel Pac, Power Commander III), or outright replace the thing (ThunderrMax, etc.). Cause you are going to have to deal with it once you start 'playing' with the engines internals.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by peektwice
So Surdyke has the SERT for cheap right now. Here's the link: https://www.surdyke.com/hd/product.a...d=81486&cat=68

I'm thinking about ordering it, but first I wanted to know what the best maps (short of dyno tuning) are for an 08 FXSTC with either V&H Big Radius or Rinehart Flush Cuts. I'm close to ordering the SERT because the price is too good to pass up, but I can't decide which pipes to get. I like 'em both, but I can't really afford the SERT, pipes, and dyno all at the same time, so I'd like to go with a canned map for now until I can afford the dyno tune later. I like the look and sound of both pipes, but if one won't work with a canned map, I'll get the other.
Why waste money on a SERT and hours of expensive dyno time when you can get a superior based self tuning wideband 02 system like the TFCI or TTS? In the long run you pay more and your still using an inferior based canned map system that may or may not run as good as you expect.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SEST (Screaming Eagle Super Tuner) lists for $550. The $450 price is the SERT which HD has discontinued. You want a SEST with an '08 or newer bike per the dealer service person I spoke with. The advantage obviously is nothing added to the bike. I have had my PCIII for about 1k mi with no issues to report. The SEST has more bells and whistles but I would be surprised if you noticed the difference in performance between a dyno'd PCIII and an dyno'd SEST. I am running with a canned map in mine with no complaints.

HD dealers sometimes have 20% off "open house" type sales. If you are wanting a SEST, wait for one of those and save $110....my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: SERT and canned maps