Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the different exhaust tones? anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why the different exhaust tones? anyone else?

Hello,
I have an 08 Deluxe witht the Powercomander Mapped by fuelMoto and the Samsom True Duals (straight no baffles) I am running the torque cones to have some back preasure and it works great... I lost no back preasure at all.... question is sometimes the exhaust note/sound will change, from regular straight pipe sound to a more baffled deeper tone.

Anyone else heard of this or have have this happen to them?

Thanks

~J

Old 10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, star by memorizing this chart, then we'll go over the rest of the explanation...

Mimo.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

ok...is memorized

now what?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mimo, that's pretty funny right there. I've always heard that pipes can sound like a symphony.

On your exhaust, perhaps it is your power commander adjusting to the fuel needs.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think mine change too but i believe it is the rider and the environment

Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

The thing is that I know the sound changes one you do the mods..... but it will sound one way one day, and another way a different day who knows?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Air cooled engines basically suck with efi. At times the temp of the engine and heat soaking of the temp probe are not in sync. Fuel will either be lean or rich and not exactly what the cylinder temp actually requires. The result is a short term change in exhaust tone until temps start reading correctly and give the correct fuel.
Ron

Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

thanks!!!! that explains it

Originally Posted by rbabos
Air cooled engines basically suck with efi. At times the temp of the engine and heat soaking of the temp probe are not in sync. Fuel will either be lean or rich and not exactly what the cylinder temp actually requires. The result is a short term change in exhaust tone until temps start reading correctly and give the correct fuel.
Ron

Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Ron
Ron,
How do you like your V&H BSS exhaust? I looked on a site where they were discontinuing them and you couldn't return them. The price was good around $360, as I recall.
They advertise them as having the advantage of being a 2 into 2, but performing as a 2 into 1. Didn't make sense.
Appreciate any feedback on them. My Rip Saws are too loud. I'm looking for pipes that still sound good and are noticeably louder then stock, just not as annoyingly loud as mine.
Tom

Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the way they look and the quality is reasonable. Started with the quiet baffles from day one. Most times I like the sound especially on the open road but they can be too loud in residential areas, so I try not to pi$$ my neighbours off too much. Mind you, I havn't heard yours , and some others are louder than mine. I think if I did it again, maybe the Q series would be my choice. They(BSS) do have a power chamber that connects the two pipes, but how well it works, who knows. Not sure if it's the baffles or not, but my bike hits a wall at around 5k rpm and seems to stop breathing. Low end torque is excellent. I'm sure the standard baffles would breath better at higher rpms but have no intentions of using them. Strange that they discontinue them as it's a popular pipe. That's a really good price too. By the way, the O2 ports are in a perfect positon for tmax sensors in a softail application if that matters.
Ron

Quick Reply: Why the different exhaust tones? anyone else?