Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change for softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Milpitas FXST
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change for softail

HI, I'm going to change the oil in my softail standard and need help to it. To drain the oil engine has to be warm. Do i need to drain from the engine to or just the tank? please Need help. Thank you very much.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Drain from the tank.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:04 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Get a Service Manual. It will tell you everything you need to know

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't know why I can't say all I have to say in one post...

I learned this on another website but can't remember where.

About every 5th change or so I like to do an "extra quart oil change".
You change the oil like you normally would but before starting the engine disconnect the oil return line going back to the tank and connect a piece of the same size oil line to it (a foot or so should do) a piece of 3/8 metal tube works well as a coupler, it will just slip onto the oil lines. Put the end in your oil drain pan and start the bike. At first you will see black oil coming out of the line but soon it will turn to clean oil. When the clean starts coming out shut down the motor reattach the oil line to the tank and top off your oil tank (should take about a quart) and you will have a complete oil change. This can add quite a bit of life to your motor.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad idea, IronAss (what no $$ signs? lol), but won't work so well on the newer fittings because they're easy to break. Might try that on my Evo, tho.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too many people who "do their own service" neglect other things. Droo your filter and drop the oil from the tank. If you have laced wheels now is the time to ceck if the spokes are tight. Get a spoke wrench, hit each spoke. Any spoke that sounds "dead" needs to be tightened. Do it with every oil change, it will save buying a new rim and maybe save your life.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
TexFordD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be too late....pour some oil in your new filter before install. Not enough to pour out when you try too get it on but enough to soak the medium.
That equals about 2 seconds of dry run on the engine as the filter fills and at 1100 Rpm...ouch

Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

As long as you start it up and just let it idle. The parts have a coating of oil on them. Pouring a little oil in the filter is a great idea. I've always done it (w/cars & bikes)

Biggest thing is, don't OVER fill it. All these engines wet sump a little (maybe just a cup)
But add 3 qts. Then run it a few miles, then shut it off, let it sit for a minute and "top off" the oil tank. Leave the 1" gap at the top. I've found my 2000 holds 3 & 1/3 qts (NOT) 3 1/2!!.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Don't know why I can't say all I have to say in one post...

I learned this on another website but can't remember where.

About every 5th change or so I like to do an "extra quart oil change".
You change the oil like you normally would but before starting the engine disconnect the oil return line going back to the tank and connect a piece of the same size oil line to it (a foot or so should do) a piece of 3/8 metal tube works well as a coupler, it will just slip onto the oil lines. Put the end in your oil drain pan and start the bike. At first you will see black oil coming out of the line but soon it will turn to clean oil. When the clean starts coming out shut down the motor reattach the oil line to the tank and top off your oil tank (should take about a quart) and you will have a complete oil change. This can add quite a bit of life to your motor.
Or you can "scavenge" the old oil out of the pan every oil change.

www.roguechopper.com

Last edited by ChromeJunkie; 10-20-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 AM
07FXSTC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this truly necessary?

Quick Reply: Oil change for softail