Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride a StreetGlide today, cool but not impressed

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Test ride a StreetGlide today, cool but not impressed

Went to the Test our metal demo ride, tried out the 08 StreetGlide, pretty nice ride, onboard stereo is really cool, I can hear music clearly at 60mph, not sure if I can trust the cruise control and drive by wire, cruise doesn't seem to respond too well when I used it on the hwy. The idle is a bit shaky compare to balanced engine. Overall not a bad ride but I prefer Softail, now I understand why ppl said sitting on a Touring or sitting in a Softail.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Talking

Looks nice, especially in Black Pearl. But then again I'm biased. Yeah, I didn't like the sHaKeY idle either. Gave me a headache. Maybe I'd get used to it. But if I didn't, I'd be pissed fursur.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

That was my take as well. I liked it. Don't care for the rough idle. Then cutting down to one cyl when it got hot made it worse. With the shorty shocks, it rides like a logging truck.
Don't get me wrong the SteetGlide is a SWEET bike. I'd say half the motorcycles at decent sized runs are StreetGlides, or ElectraGlides set up like Streetglides.

Some other good features. Those new brakes. Holy Moly !!! And it's a VERY stable machine.

I would just get beat up $$$wise selling my Heritage. Trading it in is out of the question!! Dealer told me 9K. Ca'mon!! I realize it's almost 9 yrs old, but low (LOW) miles and prestine cond. Many extras too (I know-doesn't add to RS value) but chrome front end top to bottom, you guys know how much that sh## costs. Cubbybars (int wired) The list goes on & on. But 9K ??!!!! Gimmie a break.

But either way, I'm sorry, I just can't justify it, at least not right now.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I test rode two SG's before I got my Deluxe...an '06 and an '08. I liked them both and once you got to hwy speeds, I was impressed with how smooth it was, however, like yourself, I also felt like I was sitting on top of the bike instead of in it. Loved the SG overall though and it is a great cruising/touring bike. Had the dealer not been so stuck on not dealing, I would have bought one. Luckily for me, I just happend to run across my Deluxe at another dealership that was very much willing to deal. The colors of the Deluxe is what really did it for me....take on no miles and a price tag under $12k....I grabbed it :-)

Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how could you be impressed if you test road an 08! try the new 09's I am sure you have read some where that the 09's is a whole new ball of wax. new frame, new swing arm, new rear tire, etc, etc....

allot of the 08 problems like broken pipes, motor mounts, bla bla have been fixed in the new 09's

Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

I rode the 09 Streetglide at the recent Demo days.
I really like the looks of em’ and was worried that I would like it too much, can’t really justify a second bike right now.
I found it quite comfortable, but with having the apes on my Standard it felt like my hands were too low, like down by my knees on the Streetglide. The stereo was nice, mirrors sucked though, I thought it had good power for a stock bike, and the new throttle was smooth. I also found that you seem to sit on top of the bike instead of in it, I also didn’t like the heel and toe shifter, it took up too much space on the floorboard, felt like I was looking for some place to put my foot.
Maybe in another year or two I can add one to the stable, put in a 103” kit, some 14” apes and a backrest… who know, Harley might even put out a SE CVO version.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't get past the "shaker" motors. The bikes are nice to look at and ride at higher speeds, but in my opinion, (not worth much), You still can't beat the balanced motor. Thats why I bought a second Heritage instead of a Roadglide.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like everyone who's riding a Softail is spoiled by the smooth motor and riding 'in' instead of 'on' the bike and I'm no exception. It felt exactly the same way to me.
Rabbit, I had the same 'problem' with the heel shifter. MY boot fit between the pegs with little or no room left on the floorboard for me to move it around. Worse was that they had the toe peg adjusted so low I HAD to use the heel peg to up shift and not being used to it caused me a bit of a problem. I have never been 'forced' to use one before and didn't like it at all. Screwed me all up trying to shift it properly and made me feel like a novice. Probably looked/sounded like one too from a distance.
"If" I was to ever get a bike that has one the first thing I would do is make the dealer adjust the front peg higher and pull the whole heel arm off, BEFORE I took delivery.
I know a lot of you guys that have Deluxe's, Fatty's and Heritage's like them but its a 'no thank you' option for me.

I had one other 'problem' with it that's not been mentioned, but its probably just how I sit 'on' the bike. Once it gets up over 45 or so MPH the airflow over the windshield is such that it kept knocking my head around if I sat up normally. That kind of thing would make riding any distance an unpleasant if not actually annoying experience and a real deal killer for me if I really was interested in getting a bagger. There's no reason for a box stock bike to beat its owner up unless he/she spends even more money for a taller windshield or deflectors.

One thing I wish the test bike I tried had but didn't is the ABS option. I really want to try one of them to see how well it works. According to a friend at the dealers he tried to lock up a new Ultra and couldn't do it, even on some loose gravel.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
SlowPlay
Cruiser

man,i was just getting ready to test ride an '09SG. now i'm thinking already i will not like it. i was think about this being my FINAL trade-up/upgrade. just maybe my fatty will be fine after all.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, don't take our words here, these are only personal opinions, you should take the SG for a spin and see what fits you, that's all that matters. Know what I am saying? I don't like the word 'trade-up', you should ride something that you love.

Originally Posted by SlowPlay
man,i was just getting ready to test ride an '09SG. now i'm thinking already i will not like it. i was think about this being my FINAL trade-up/upgrade. just maybe my fatty will be fine after all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test ride a StreetGlide today, cool but not impressed